mac finder problem

Reaction score
My mac G4 has recently startde playing up.
All the icons and files on the desktop have vanished and the finder control bar at the top just flashes on and off - i cant even open anything or access the blue apple top left, however...
I can access some things from the dock at the bottom including photoshop and i tunes; all my songs are still there and play ok and i can open up 'recent' photoshop files but I can't go 'file open' as everything immediatly quits.
My desktop was full of folders and stuff this morning and now it's all gone. It must still be there right?!?!
please help anyone?:( :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

have you tried restarting the Mac?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
yes many times still no joy
I'm starting to worry about all my files and the possibility of loosing them

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

do you have any backups ?

What version of OS X are you running ?

Have you got an OS install disk ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i'm on os x2.8 and i have tried booting up from the cd but i would have to re install the system wiping over my files (which are not backed up!)
as all the i tunes are still available i'm hoping my photoshop files will be also!!
any advice?

Reaction score
is there any chance it could be a virus (i've heard that they are non existant on macs)
i've had this mac for about 6 years now...

Reaction score
It could be that the paths to the icons/programs are messed up somehow, or it could be a hardware issue. Have you tried repairing permissions or perhaps checking the hardware from your CD at all?

You could also try setting up another user account and put a couple of icons on the desktop and then boot up to that user account and see if the same symptoms are replicated on the new user account.

Ask a Question