Finder problems

Reaction score
At restart my Mac keeps relaunching the finder I think. The apple menu bar at the top comes down then back up repeatedly non stop. And no access to anything on the desktop, i can see only my desktop image i had choosen. The Dock is there but can't access anything. Neep Help Please.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bradley and Welcome...

have you tried anything already...save me giving you the same advice ?

What version of OS X are you running ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
A few things to try...

If you haven't tried them yet...

1. Start up from your System Software CD/DVD, run Disk Utility from it.

(Restart holding down the c key)

2. Throw this file away "com.apple.finder.plist" it's in Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences then restart

3. Look in Finder crash log to see the cause of crashes. It is in Users/yourusername/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

(post it here, if you're not sure what it means)

4. We'll wait to see if we need a 4...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I am running 10.4.3. Thank you for all your help. But i just fixed it before i tried your suggestions. I will keep yours handy for the future if need be. I ended up restarting into safeboot mode and found a strange jpg file on my desktop that was about a million characters long. It was a jpg file from the Costco photo center website, one of my photos, that i dragged to my desktop just curious to see the resolution in photoshop. That is when all hell broke loose. Just curious do you know how or why that happened? Oh I just deleted the bad jpg file in safeboot mode and restarted the computer. Everything fine now.

Thanks again

brad

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Brad,

glad you got it working ok !

SafeBoot was number 4 ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question