SOLVED FaceTime app

Reaction score
when I try todo a call the mike and camera are “ Greyed out”. How can I activate FaceTime to work. I can receive calls from people
On FaceTime but cannot call out. Do I need a smartphone for it to work

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is this on your Mac or an iPhone/iPad?
-Which version of macOS or iOS depending on above?

C

Reaction score
Hi I am running Catalina on my MB. I also an IPad 2 and still have the same problem. One BIG question do I need
to have a smartphone. As it stands I can receive a call on FaceTime and communicate ok but cannot call out on my
MB air

Reaction score
Thanks 4 that. I will check that out. It’s 02.20 in the morning going to bed thanks so far

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Keep us in the loop and we'll go from there if it isn't resolved.

C

Reaction score
Last bit of info I have FaceTime on both my machines (MB air and Ipad2 ) and neither works going out. Isthere away I can isolate them ie unlink them?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

They aren't necessarily linked per se. You can disable the following on the Mac:
-Uncheck  > System Preferences... > General > Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices
- > System Preferences... > Sidecar

C

Reaction score
Hi C just picked this up. My worry is how can I test this without contacting the 2 important contacts that I have on
my list ( one is in Aussie). And the other is in Ireland and I can tell the person is getting a bit fed up. I have a suspecion that when I moved from Monjove to Catalina might be an issue ( when I was on Monjove it ran on 32 bits going to Catalina the system ran on 64 bits. When I did this I had a Panda anti virus and it then became useless. I was in formed by a Mac tech. Appreciate your opinion. Can you suggest a way I can test FaceTime another way? Meanwhile I will do what you just suggested. Regards. J

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

You can actually FaceTime video call yourself from your Mac to your iPad. Try that.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
Heh presto Many thanks for all your help. All is good now Kind regards John

Ask a Question