FaceTime Not Working — DSL Modem is the Problem

Reaction score
I have a DSL subscription through AT&T which I've been very happy with for almost ten years. AT&T recently had to provide me with an updated DSL modem/router which is connected to an 8-port switch for my printer/scanner, my wife's old PowerMac and 4 file servers.

Now I can't get FaceTime to work no matter how many times I enter my AppleID and password.

AT&T has provided instructions on how to fix this, but they don't work. I can access all the administrator tools via Safari, and I've looked high and low about how to enable FaceTime without much luck. What I have found might as well be written in Hebrew.

If anyone has some relatively simple step-by-step instructions which would assist me, I'd be in your debt. Otherwise, I'll have to pay AT&T $180 for a technician to come out and alter my DSL modem settings for me and I'd really rather spend my money on other things!

Reaction score
Going back over my chicken scratch notes, I see the problem has something to do with FaceTime needing to open a port to let me login and that it has to be opened by accessing the modem through my browser to alter some settings. After poking around in there, I'm frankly too scared to alter ANYTHING in there for fear of losing e-mail and browsing capabilities.

Oh, yeah, about AT&T. They told me the tech who installed my modem and UPS could've configured it for me while he was here on the service call, and that they'll levy a $180 fee if that's all they send a tech out for. Bastards.

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, about AT&T. They told me the tech who installed my modem and UPS could've configured it for me while he was here on the service call, and that they'll levy a $180 fee if that's all they send a tech out for. Bastards.

Understand! I have similar issues with Comcast, regarding so-called "technical support". Fortunately, most of those problems have to do with our TV service from them.

Reaction score
Understand! I have similar issues with Comcast, regarding so-called "technical support". Fortunately, most of those problems have to do with our TV service from them.
Comcast's Xfinity service is superb according to my son, and taking my MacBook to his house and using his WiFi, I can also attest that it's notably faster than my AT&T service.

Other than my Internet service, we also have a land-line through AT&T. Given MY choice, I'd have the phone disconnected and would switch to Comcast. We have their cable service and rarely have any issues. The last time we did, they replaced all the wiring through the house and all the connectors under the house, did it quickly, arrived promptly when they said they would and didn't charge us a dime. Unfortunately, my wife is a creature of habit and is fiercely opposed to ditching AT&T for some reason. We don't need the land-line, and I could get better speed with Comcast for the same price I'm paying for DSL. Go figure.

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing up here (in the Seattle area) about Comcast versus Century Link/AT&T for internet. And I also have very few issues with Comcast regarding their internet and Landline phone service (as it is, their long distance rates via landline are very, very inexpensive). It's their cable TV service I sometimes have issues with. My biggest gripe, though, is the choices are so limited if I want to do some "cord cutting". I do have one of their so-called Triple Play packages, so my internet and phone service are very reasonable (I have my own device, an Arris Telephony Modem which I need for both my internet and landline phone service).

Ask a Question