Turn off FaceTime on my Mac

Reaction score
The last week or so, I have had FaceTime show up on my Catalina Dock after I get phone calls with warnings of "Potential Spam", and I don't answer.

I click on facetime and check "Turn FaceTime Off" is greyed out, and FaceTime wants me to sign on with my AppleID.

The FaceTime icon shows a number of calls, and it scrolls off of the right side of the dock if I open more applications.

I used FaceTime once several years ago on my phone with a grandchild, but never since then.

I have no idea what changed in the last couple of days.

Could someone explain what is happening?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You should be able to sign out in the FaceTime app...not sure why it is greyed out? Maybe you actually aren't signed in? Are you still signed into FaceTime on your iPhone/iPad?

As I have mentioned, I am not running Catalina on my Macs yet, so I haven't used many of the new features like Continuity and Handoff - wonder if it could be one of those?

You can safely ignore those phone calls with warnings of "Potential Spam", as they are SPAM themselves.

C

Reaction score
I did sign off of it, when it first started a week ago. I suspect that's why it's greyed out. I just went to FaceTime on my phone and it says "You can start FaceTime Video or Audio Calls by entering a name, email address or phone number.", so I inferred I'm not logged in there. I'm not sure, as I think we can do FaceTime calls from the phone app.

Ask a Question