External hard drive disappeared

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been using an external hard drive for a while on this mac book pro ( catalina 10.15.7) and for some unknown reason it doesn't seem to be working anymore for the last couple of days.
I have tried the hard drive on another macbook pro and it worked fine. I did the first aid in the disk utility from that macbook pro and it said the partition was fine.
I tried to plug in another harddrive in my macbook and it worked fine.
I reset the SMC and VRAM on my macbook but still no luck.
I've run out of ideas.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Jean

Reaction score
Really seems strange that 1) issue reared its ugly head just recently, 2) the drive can be seen on another Macbook Pro. What brand is it? And is it an HDD, or an SSD?

Any chance you can use the connector from the drive that can be mounted on the one that can't be mounted? Seems like a long shot, but maybe worth a try.

One other thing: have you done anything "significant" to your system on the problematic MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Really seems strange that 1) issue reared its ugly head just recently, 2) the drive can be seen on another Macbook Pro. What brand is it? And is it an HDD, or an SSD?

Any chance you can use the connector from the drive that can be mounted on the one that can't be mounted? Seems like a long shot, but maybe worth a try.

One other thing: have you done anything "significant" to your system on the problematic MacBook Pro?
Hi Marty (loved the show btw :))
It is indeed strange and slightly annoying...
The hard drive is a Seagate, HDD
I can't change the connectors as the other is an old internal HDD that I mounted in a case

Reaction score
Hi Marty (loved the show btw :))
It is indeed strange and slightly annoying...
The hard drive is a Seagate, HDD
I can't change the connectors as the other is an old internal HDD that I mounted in a case
Yeah, Ozark is great! There will be a Season 4. but it will be the last. Other series I really like are Cobra Kai (Season 3 premieres on January 8th), and Better Call Saul.

Too bad about not being able to switch cables. Maybe try plugging in the cable to a different port on you enclosure, and if there is one, another port on your Macbook Pro. Don't know if it will resolve the issue, but worth a try.

Ask a Question