External Drive not recognised in Sierra

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I recently upgraded to Sierra (10.12.2) from El Capitan, and have noticed that a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB drive appears to no longer be recognised by Finder
The drive in question is however shown within Disk Utility and was showing and working perfectly well under El Capitan.
As I can't see it in Finder I can't verify it's format status; the Disk Utility says Partition Map: Master Boot Record.

Any ideas what is happening please?

Reaction score
First off, that external drive seems to be formatted for the Windows OS, correct?

Secondly, what do you have on that drive?

Additionally, you might need to set (or reset) the options for having disks appear on the desktop:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7700240?start=0&tstart=0

Myself, I have those options set via the General "tab" within the Finder Preferences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply honestone.

Formatting - I think it's formatted to Windows NT File System (Left as it came, i.e. for use with Win & Mac).
Options, both 'Hard Drive' options are ticked in preferences (and un-ticked and re-ticked)
The drive is basically for images, photos and some videos.
Also swapping the USB ports doesn't help, as referred to in the reference.

Reaction score
Hmm, perplexing! Usually for a new drive, even if it is compatible with both Windows & Mac, it comes formatted for Windows use. Surprised also, given that it's a Seagate drive, and such drives play "nicely" with Macs.

Myself, whenever I format flash drives for the Windows OS, they do show up on my desktop.

You might want to check Seagate's site and see if there is a newer driver available (and especially if it's for Sierra compatibility). And of course you could try and contact Seagate directly and explain your issues.

Reaction score
Hi honestone, glad to report that it's fixed. As you suggested I went onto the Seagate site, and it appears that this is a problem when upgrading to Sierra. They give a download link for a new driver, and after installing my drive was back!

Thanks very much for your assistance once again.

Ask a Question