Ext HD used for Time Machine not recognized

Reaction score
I am using Mac OS X v 10.5.8
I bought a Gearhead Wireless mouse for Mac and also an Aluratek 4 port USB hub, so I could plug in more stuff.
I used the hub to download pictures off my camera chip. It stalled on me 3 times. I ended up taking the hub off and doing it the old way, right into the usb on the laptop.
It was time for a Time Machine Backup. I normally plug in my WD external hard drive that I only use for Time Machine. I plugged it in to the usb port on the laptop, not the new hub. It doesn't even show up in Finder! I get a W icon on the top tool bar, but nothing in Finder. I went to time machine app and clicked on it and said to go to an external drive and it said there was none. I tried the other usb on the laptop, I tried the hub. All the same. My Time Machine External drive basically isn't recognized anymore.
So now I am getting worried. I have a 2nd external hd that I use for all my music for iTunes. I plugged it in and I can see it in Finder. I can see all my photo files and my iTunes files on it. I decided I better copy photos from my Mac HD onto this external hd since my time machine hd isn't working. I cannot copy even a single photo. It would normally just do it in a flash but now it says it is getting ready to copy and it just keeps saying that. If I click on Stop Copying it doesn't. I tell the Mac to Shut down or Restart and it won't, it says it is in the process of something and won't end. So I end up having to physically turn the laptop off which I know is BAD.
I assume that this new hub I recently plugged in, or maybe the wireless mouse caused this problem as those are the only "new" things I have done. I quit using both but my external hard drives are still having issues and I am unable to back anything up on either. Any suggestions of what to do next?! Thanks for any help.

karazelle

Reaction score
The first step is to reset your PRAM.
If you start your Mac holding down Cmd+Option(alt)+P+R while turning your Mac on, keep pressing those keys and you will hear the startup chime a second time and then, on the third time, release the keys. This will reset your NVRAM and this could help.

More about this and consequences: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
As per the article, at the end, bullet point two: Port definitions. Those are what we are after. Its worth a try and it won't damage your computer in any way.

Reaction score
Thank you Karazelle for your reply. I ended up making an appointment at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. He did just what you said, reset the PRAM. I asked what he was doing and he told me Cmd, Option, P,R. It would be nice if they explained things when they fix them so one would learn from it. They do things so fast and don't explain. After resetting my one external HD worked ok, but the one WD external HD that was my Time Machine was still not recognized. He plugged it into his Mac and got the same. So he said that drive was dead. Thanks a lot for your reply and the link to learn more about it.

Reaction score
Hi, I went to Thread Tools and did not find any option to state that my problem is solved? I'm sorry, I must be missing something!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
No you're not missing anything Phoenix ... that option seems to have been removed.

Ask a Question