Ethernet Printer Overrides WIFI

Reaction score
I have am external 3G wi-fi connection for my internet on my mac book pro running mountain lion. works well.

However, I work in an office environment occasionally that has an ethernet plug in the wall for a network printer.

I plug in the ethernet and my laptop prints fine this way, however when I do plug in the Ethernet it stops my wi-fi connection (the ethernet seems to take priority) and hence I have to keep plugging and unplugging the ethernet cable to print (as if I leave it in, I have no internet).

I have available to me the ip address of the printer if anyone can assist me to make this configuration work without having to keep plugging and unplugging all the time ! Thanks All

Reaction score
That is correct, the Mac looks to the Fastest connection and will automatically change to that.

You may be able to use Location to set a location for print that has Ethernet as settings and Auto which has your current WiFi settings.

System Preference > Network > Location > Edit Locations

You will need to remember to switch locations and this will stop WiFi or Printing.

Why doesn't the Printer work via your normal WiFi setting? I'm guessing they are on a different networks, and your Mac can not be on 2 networks at the same time.

Ask a Question