Error Code Help

Reaction score
I have ben having problems with my powerbook recently and ran a apple hardware test on it after it would not boot up. It said there was an error and gave me the code - 2STF/8/3:ATA-100ata-6-master . Does anyone know what this means? i need to get 2 important files off of my computer and then i can erase and reinstall.

Im using: powerbook G4 1.67mhz 15"
1 gig ram
OS10.4.2

Reaction score
hey walrus666 thank you for your reply and yes i did try some of those suggestions before posting but went back and tried once more. In short i was able to start up using the startup disk and went into disk utility to repair the disk. Now i have another problem, as it was repairing the drive it said -invalid node structure- ,- repairing catalog B-tree-. finally it said " the volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired." "error: the underlying task reported failure on exit." then below that "1 HFS volume checked-1 volume could not be repaired because of an error. " "Repair attempt on volume 1- 1 volume could not be repaired." im guessing this is not good so what does this mean exactly and what do i need to do now?

thank you in advance for any help

Reaction score
Well, your new error message is pretty much telling you the same thing that the error code was telling you; your hard drive isn't functioning properly. As far as the catalog B-tree is concerned, I'd recommend giving Disk Warrior a shot.

Were you able to access and backup your two important files?
If not, try booting up in safe mode, booting up from an external drive, or connecting your Mac to another Mac using FireWire Target Disk Mode.

Reaction score
Hello again and thanks for your reply. I have tried starting up in safe mode and unfortunately that didnt work, it just sits there with a apple icon in the middle and does nothing. I let it sit for 10 min before giving up on that. I also tried the target disk mode and was able to see the drive but was unable to access it and my imac said it needed to be repaired first, which i tried and got same error- unable to repair-. sigh... i havent ben able to retrieve the files and am not giving up just yet. Thank you for your advice about disk warrior. I will give that a try. thank you again for the help. I will let you know how it turns out.

Ask a Question