Help with error code: MCMailErrorDomain error 1045

Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I need help! I just went to my computer one day and it was just there, an error. I have an error code
MCMailErrorDomain error 1045 that I cannot fix! I cannot send out email and I have tried a thousand times to fix it.
The message states that the SMTP server is incorrect. I have deleted my email account and re-entered it into MAC Mail at least 35 times. I called the service provider and went over my email numerous times. I created a new account and that one too does the same thing. I have read forums on the internet and they all point to either the SMTP account being entered wrong or the password is incorrect. This is not the case with mine. I also thought about restoring my computer once backed up, to see if there is something on my computer blocking my use. Also, my mail does not use SSL and when I go into he preferences, this box is always checked again??? even after I have clicked it off and saved and then rechecked to make sure it was off. Please help!! This has been driving me crazy for months now.
Cheers,
Amanda

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What Mac OS X version do you have installed?

Have you tried Software Update to ensure you have all the latest updates?

Check Connection Doctor found under "Window" in the menu for any insights as to what is going on behind the scenes with the connection.

The following steps have helped me rectify any Connection Doctor issues in the past, I see that you've deleted then re-added this account many times but anything is worth a try:
  • Open Mail app and go to the Mail menu, then select “Preferences”
  • Choose the “Accounts” tab in the preferences window
  • Select the mail account that is experiencing problems and/or errors
  • Look under the ‘Account Information’ tab and click on “Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)” and choose “Edit SMTP Server List”
  • Select the ‘Advanced’ tab at the Edit SMTP Server List screen
  • Re-enter your login and password credentials for the affected email account here.
  • Now click “OK” and close Preferences, selecting to “Save” if/when asked about changes.
Even though my login & password were already correct, deleting then clicking ok then going back & re-entering them has worked for me so who knows?

Reaction score
Thank you!! I checked the above again and it still says it is a username and password error as stated above. I created a second email and it has the same error code. I am at a loss. :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Email issues can be very daunting to correct to say the least, especially without having physical access to the computer. We'll still try to help you out.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Who is the ISP/email provider?
-Do they offer webmail access for your account through a browser?
-How long ago did the issue start?
-Do you have other email accounts setup in Apple Mail that work properly?

We could try having you download and install Mozilla Thunderbird, and then setting up your email within it to see if it is possibly a corrupted Apple Mail preference file or keychain entry.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory!
I know this will not help anyone else trying to fix this problem and I do appologize to them. However, I downloaded the Mozilla thunderbird and set up my email, it worked. So I went into my Mac mail and tried reconfiguring again and still same error. So once again I deleted both emails I receive through platinum and re-entered them and I almost fell over. 5 agonizing months later, it just worked. I have no idea why it worked but all I can say is Thank you for helping me. I am so relieved.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...I really didn't do much!

Glad it's working again and that relief has come. ;)

Let us know if the issue reappears.

C

Ask a Question