ERROR - Moving Home Folder after ssd install.. HELP!

Reaction score
ok so heres how my ssd install went -

I tried to format/clean install of OS x onto the ssd but it never would work. I did so by both a installer usb and from internet install as well... so i eventually did a CCC clone and booted from the ssd. All is working perfectly now i cannot move my home folder to my hdd (mounted internally via OWC data doubler (ssd in boot drive bay)). I have tried going through settings , users - and moving the home folder location to the folder that i copied on the HDD... thats when it all goes to crap... when i restart the computer i get the error of "You are unable to log in to the user account "...." at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."

luckily i setup another admin account before doing all of this so i can log into that account and move the folder location back , restart the computer, log back into my main user and all is fine..... This has been a frustrating process...

Advice? I will forever be grateful to anyone who helps me solve this issue......

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It may have been an easier workflow to install OS X onto the SSD, then use the Migration Assistant to migrate your user to the new OS X install on the SSD. It is never a good idea to manually move a User folder to another OS X install and try to set it up.

-Do you have a Time Machine back from before you started this project?
-Is the original HD still intact with your user and applications? And, is it still bootable?

C

Reaction score
I do have backups and nothing has been altered to the hdd. It's still intact. Only thing I've done was delete data from the user folders (pics,music,etc) and change the directory of the program and made alias folders to the files I keep on the desktop.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I haven't been able to get any info on what direction I should go

Reaction score
Also - I tried to do a clean install of OS X onto the ssd and it kept failing. That's why I cloned the drive. Once cloned it boots and works great. All but the moving the home folder part (which is a permissions issue)

Ask a Question