Endless External Indexing on Mavericks

Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post here.

I've joined this forum today to see if you guys can help me on a couple of issues.

My most prominent issue is that my Western Digital My Passport external HDD (USB 3.0, 500GB) commonly runs into an issue where OSX Mavericks needs to re-index the drive, but it never finishes indexing. This was not an issue on ML. Most often it happens when the drive has been removed without ejecting, but again, that never happened on ML. I always try to eject first but sometimes OSX takes too long to eject and I have to go so I just have to pull it out.

Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like when this happens.

Currently my workaround is to open up Spotlight > Privacy and add MOCHI to the no indexing list, and then remove it, but this is a really annoying time waster as I work in a very fast-paced environment and I need to be able to search my external drive at all times.

Does anyone have a solution to this, or are we still waiting for Apple to recognize it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.42.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.42.26 AM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 381

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be part of the well-known Western Digital HD issue with Mavericks.

-Do you have a backup of the data on that HD?
-Do you have other HDs that have the same issue?
-Do you have WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, or WD SmartWare installed?

I recommend backing up the data on that HD immediately, then diagnosing the issue further.

Read more information about the issue here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Ann...iencing-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/m-p/613777

http://wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?id=wdfGeneric&os=mac

SamGAdams said:
Most often it happens when the drive has been removed without ejecting, but again, that never happened on ML. I always try to eject first but sometimes OSX takes too long to eject and I have to go so I just have to pull it out.
I don't recommend doing this unless absolutely necessary. If you physically unplug a drive without unmounting/ejecting it first, it can corrupt the data and possibly cause the issue you are experiencing.

C

Reaction score
WD HDD had some issues with Mavericks, but both Apple & WD has resolved this. It might be the smart ware of the drive which needs to be reissued.

Ask a Question