Encryption on a Mac

Reaction score
Yes, of course I did a search first.

I see several "help" sites on the internet that purport to show how to place encryption on a flash drive. None of the various methods shown work for me. Several have copied the same instruction and reposted it, but it is something that doesn't exist on my iMac. Others have shown shots of menus that I don't have.

Either the Mac OS has encryption built in or it doesn't, and if it does, why can't I access it?

Has anyone here actually done it? If so, can you explain how it is done?

What I've tried: Disk utility. My menu is different, and does not include the option for "encryption". I did follow the instructions to create a disk image, which gave me one, and sometimes two copies, but neither were password-protected on any of the several tries.

Finder: As in the above method, my menu does not have the option for "encryption".

If the Mac OS simply does not have encryption builtin, then I will purchase a software, but I would like to at least try to do it with a feature that is claimed to have been included in my OS.

My OS:

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.57.27 AM.png

And, of course, "Mac Help"

Reaction score
No luck.

When I type "diskutil list" it takes me to another website. How do I get the command line?

In your Applications folder, there is a folder called Utilities. Within that folder is an application called Terminal. When you'll launch it, it will look like a Command Line, with a dollar sign ($). After the dollar sign is where you would enter the command. You then will be asked for your admin password.

Additionally, the command "diskutil list" is to be entered using the Terminal application. (If you entered on the "command line" within your browser, yes, it takes you to a another site). I just did it, and it worked fine (I also had a 32 gig Flash Drive formatted as ExFAT, Master Boot Record.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The method I use is to create a password protected dmg that isn't quite the size of the thumb drive using Disk Utility which I store on the thumb drive.

It's password protected so while you can open the drive you cannot see what is on it other than a very large .dmg.

Double-click the .dmg then input password then read write privileges are yours for the taking.

• File ~> New Image ~> Blank Image
  • Save As: Enter your choice of names
  • Size: has to be a little bit smaller than your thumbdrive
  • Encryption: 120 Bit or 256 Bit
  • Partition: leave this one as is
  • Image Format: read/write disk image (so you can add or remove files)
  • Save: either to your Desktop then drag onto the thumb drive or navigate to the thumb drive then click 'Save' ... either/or is fine.
While this suits my purposes it may or may not be for you.

Ask a Question