file encryption! for the love of god someone help me!!

Reaction score
i decided to use the file encryption feature because i foolishly assumed the feature would actually work like i believed it would. lo and behold, this is not the case. i just started up my macbook and it asked for the password to my user account. fine. i typed it. but apparently this was the wrong password (which it wasnt). i typed it again and again but could not get into my account. a prompt came up telling me to put in the master password so i could reset my user password (a safeguard for just such situations). i typed the master password (which thank god worked) and arrived at a screen at which i was supposed to create a new user password and log in. i created a new password and as i hit enter i got this message, "You are unable to log in to the user acount '[name of it]' at this time."

so, i ask, WHAT THE HELL????

please tell me my files arent lost forever, please please please please pleaseeee!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
hi..
it is very easy
use the system DVD witch come with the computer .. when it start in the menu there is change password.. select the user and leave it without any password
restart the computer and try to log in with this user .. if not tell me I will tell you something else.. but try it first and tell me as soon as you can

Reaction score
thanks for you help.

i archived the old system and installed a new one. however, when i try to get into the archived system, the .sparseimage is damaged... so im looking for a way to repair it. system utility doesnt do the job.. i think i might order diskwarrior4.

Reaction score
hi synthemesc
I am not sure if diskwarrior will repare this image or not but sometimes if you use other computer with new system it can work .. I am not sure but you can try .. hope good luck

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
thanks for you help.

i archived the old system and installed a new one. however, when i try to get into the archived system, the .sparseimage is damaged... so im looking for a way to repair it. system utility doesnt do the job.. i think i might order diskwarrior4.

Filevault is corrupted that's why you can't access the archived system. I've read that you can recover the image and hopefully your files, by creating a new image, either in a new user account or on another Mac, and copying the info from the corrupt image to it .. it is complicated though and I'm no expert. If you can somehow mount the image, copy the contents to an external HD ... please back up any personal stuff first though.

Filevault-How to Verify or Repair Home Directory Image

I recall when I first read about Filevault and the general concensus seemed to be keep well clear of it. I'm sure it has its good points but I wasn't game enough to meddle with it.

Ask a Question