Duplicate Photos in Finder

Reaction score
In my Macbook Pro, the Finder folder has duplicate images in the 'All Images' file. One image is small and the other is full size. I started clearing out the smaller of the two but then noticed that it has blacken the windows of some Events folders. I'm afraid I've messed something up. I really need to make space. Do I have two of every image? Why is one small and the other large?
HELP!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I presume you are referring to "All My Files" in the Finder sidebar?

The smaller one is a thumbnail preview to the larger file. I really wouldn't go deleting files from there.

If you use iPhoto there would be more than one copy of an image & this is normal.

Do you use Time Machine? You should be able to restore the deleted files.

How much hard drive space is available?

Help is on it's way!

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
Would deleting files in the "All Images" side bar delete the image in iPhoto? I will stop deleting, I promise. I have 10K + photos on iphoto and need to clear up some room as I am constantly getting the error message that my Start Up Disc is FULL! I'm wondering if I can do away with the preloaded software that I don't use like Entourage and Power Point? Any ideas?
Thank you!!
Liz

Reaction score
With a iPhoto Library of that size maybe you should have it on its own HardDrive, with a couple of others to back it up to.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
Would deleting files in the "All Images" side bar delete the image in iPhoto?

The blackened events in iPhoto do point to that … check in iPhoto whether those images load … if not & you use Time Machine, I can help you restore them.

I have 10K + photos on iphoto

10K photos is really too much for your internal hard drive. Copying the iPhoto library & maybe even your iTunes library to an external would be the best way forward.

I'm wondering if I can do away with the preloaded software that I don't use like Entourage and Power Point?

Have a look in the Microsoft ~> Additional Tools in the menu for a way to uninstall Entourage/Power Point alone.

Check Mail as you might need to erase the deleted items for each mail account, and if there are more than one user account, do the same in the other account/s. Also check your Downloads folder too as it might need emptying.

If you use iMovie there might be unwanted clips in the Trash there too.

Ask a Question