Dose the Mac have its on security?

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to using a Mac, mine is OSX EL Capitan 10.11.6 and I have just installed McAfee on it, but someone told me they think that Mac already has its own security built in, is this correct and if so do I need to uninstall McAfee?

Reaction score
I wouldn't use McAfee. (I'm a former McAfee/Intel security engineer)

Uninstall McAfee. Goto http://home.sophos.com . Register and install that product. It's free and you can manage up to 10 devices from the cloud console.

Reaction score
I wouldn't use McAfee. (I'm a former McAfee/Intel security engineer)

Uninstall McAfee. Goto http://home.sophos.com . Register and install that product. It's free and you can manage up to 10 devices from the cloud console.

Thank you for your advice, I will uninstall, Im thinking its just a matter of sending McAfee to the bin. Am I correct in thinking that my Mac computer has its own security but using the link you give will be extra security?

Reaction score
macOS does include a few security features...things like a software firewall and whole disk encryption. But it does not include an anti-virus/malware solution. Sophos will provide that protection for you.

Reaction score
macOS does include a few security features...things like a software firewall and whole disk encryption. But it does not include an anti-virus/malware solution. Sophos will provide that protection for you.

Many thanks iMav I have installed Sophos my computerI feels more secure now

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to Sophos, educational for me too.

I'm curious about two things:

1) How big of an issue is anti-virus/malware on the Mac? I don't claim to know, but have done nothing to protect myself for 20 years and so far, knock on silicone, nothing bad has happened. Am I living in a lucky dream world?

But the Mac does not include an anti-virus/malware solution.

2) I'm also curious as to why this is, should you have a theory.

Reaction score
How big of an issue is anti-virus/malware on the Mac?
macOS is a growing target. While the malware "out there" for Windows is much more prominent, the amount of Mac-specific malware is growing.

Also take into consideration that you could, inadvertently, pass along Windows malware through your system.

Mac-targeted ransomware is definitely increasing.

2) I'm also curious as to why this is, should you have a theory.
Historically, Microsoft did not provide any anti-virus software for Windows either (for DECADES). And, what they do provide now, basically, sucks.

Reaction score
I for one have never needed anti-virus software, as I tend to be ultra careful. I also make a concerted effort to keep my Macs "lean and clean", along with performing both daily disk clean up, and weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. The software I use for the latter is the excellent freeware program Onyx, and the excellent commercial product TechTool Pro. And of course I make weekly backups for both of my Macs to two separate external devices (SSDs now).

I actually tried Sophos before, and it slowed my system down somewhat. And, it never found anything. But iMav is definitely correct, in that the macOS is a growing target. I do, though, keep up to date with any software updates, including the Mac OS.

Reaction score
Currently, Sophos is one of the least resource-intensive anti-malware solutions available (and also ranks at the top for effectiveness).

The Sophos Home product provides the exact same protection as our enterprise solution (it's the same thing)...we simply wrapped a more consumer-friendly front end around the web management for home users.

Ask a Question