Dock icon OSX 1013.2

Reaction score
On both my 2011 I-mac and my 2016 MacBook Pro [touch-bar] I am getting an extra feature on the Calendar icon. It is a red round ‘badge’, with numeral 1 in white, much like the number used to indicate a software update in Apps, overlapping the icon in its upper right corner. Both machines are running OSX 10.13.2, installed and updated recently.

The 'badge' is there whether or no there are any diary entries/alerts for the day.

The other MacBook in the family, brought up to date only yesterday, does not show this number.

It’s different software I know, but neither our I-pads nor I-phone, also right up to date, show it.

I cannot see any Calendar preferences which might lead to this situation/view.

Anybody any guesses?

Reaction score
Thanks to Kent Miller [Carson National Forest, New Mexico]. It is a nudge for me to accept a new appointment.

Reaction score
Thanks to Kent Miller [Carson National Forest, New Mexico]. It is a nudge for me to accept a new appointment.
: further explanation:
This looks like there's a new calendar entry in a shared calendar; if the other user has added an event, you may have to acknowledge it in your calendar. If I recall correctly, open your Calendar app, and in the upper left, just to the right of the "Calendars" and "+" buttons there may be an additional icon representing the events that you need to click to confirm/accept in your calendar.

Reaction score
I have OS 10.13.2 on both of my Macs (did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation), and the way the top of the Calendar app appears is as follows:

1. Starting from the upper left hand corner, there are 3 colored "circles" (ie, icons/buttons): Red, Yellow, and Green.
2. Moving just to the right, there is the "Heading" Calendars, and then the "+" symbol.
3. Moving further to the right, but near the middle, there are the choices for Day, Week, Month, and Year.
4. Finally, all the way to the upper right hand corner, there is a Search box.

From what I remember, that was the same way the Calendar app looked like with Sierra (OS 10.12.x).

Reaction score
Thanks, H.
Kent Miller from NM has already put me right.

I have David Pogue's excellent book, The Missing Manual for MacOS Sierra, from earlier this year and the little 'In Box' doesn't appear in his screen shots so perhaps its a new feature with the current 10.13.2 version. I do wish 'they' who publish the updates could find it in their hearts to give us a written list of what is being changed. I have been struggling to find all the clever features on my new Toyota Prius since September. Some of the really smart bits are not even mentioned in the handbook. For example there are 29 phrases which the voice recognition is supposed to understand but are only listed on screen. Now that's an owner's manual which could really do with a good edit.

Reaction score
I'd rather find out all the "hidden" features on the new Toyota Camrys. A Prius is just too small for us. Also, one couple we know owned an earlier model (think it was a 2014 or 2015), and they complained about the restricted visibility out of the rear window. No thank you!

Ask a Question