My dock has two finder icons?

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of my dock. As you can see, I have one finder icon all the way to the left, unopened and another at the end, which is the one my computer is using (it suddenly appeared). Is there any way to delete the older one? It is the only one my computer will open. Even if i quit and try to open the finder on the left, it opens the one on the right. I've repaired the disk several times to no avail. I'm lost! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm a novice when it comes to mac.

Attachments

• finder.jpg
    finder.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
this is very strange.

Do you have a different Admin Account on this computer? If so log into that and see if it has the same problem.

Reaction score
Lets find out if its User area problem first.

You can't drag out Open Apps, so the only one that may be dragged out is the correct one and we don't want to drag that one out.

I suspect the Dock pref file, but lets not make the problem worse, before we know.

Reaction score
No, I have no other Admin or regular user account on my computer.
The Finder on the left cannot be dragged out at all, while the one of the left can be dragged, but goes directly back to where it was. As of yesterday, I cannot even shut my computer down.. It has an error saying that the finder had failed?

Reaction score
It worked! It even corrected other problems I've been having (unable to open trash, finder always crashing when searching, spotlight issues) Thank you so much!!!

Reaction score
And do your Mac a favour, create a new account with a good secure password (you can write it down and put it in a draw) and change your account to standard. This will protect and serve you into the future.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
It worked! It even corrected other problems I've been having (unable to open trash, finder always crashing when searching, spotlight issues) Thank you so much!!!

That's great news ChrisinH11 !! You are most welcome. :)

Glad you were able to sort some other issues out at the same time ;)

Ask a Question