Dock and desktop partially unresponsive

Reaction score
I have an Imac version 10.6.8 / 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gb 800mhz DDR2 SDRAM. I run windows 7 via bootcamp on this computer. Lately when switching back to Mac side it takes very long time to load up. It will show the apple symbol then the screen goes blue for awhile. It continues to flicker different shades of blue and finally brings up log in screen.
After loggin in i was unable to open finder. gave an error message and wouldnt let me close the window. I was unable to do anything else. Tried to open an app from dock and it did nothing when i clicked on any app.
I restarted computer and was finally able to get finder open and ran disk utility. I verified the disk and repaired permissions. This only partially worked. I restarted computer again and the finder was already open when i logged in. I was able to update computer and did try to open some folders. I opened a few pictures and after the 3rd one it stopped opening any more. Everything else became unresponsive also.
I restarted again and when i logged in was able to open the finder and get to my apps but was short lived and computer froze up again and had to force shutdown.
I switched back to windows side and everything is working fine there. I am even writing this post from it. Not sure what i need to do for the mac side and any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did the computer ever freeze or have to be forced to shut down prior to the issue appearing?
-Did this issue start after applying any software updates?
-Do you have any third-party utilities (DiskWarrior/Drive Genius/TechTool Pro) you could run from a CD/DVD?
-Do you have any third-party startup items that may be causing an issue?

C

Reaction score
Greetings,
No I havent had any problems with my mac freezing up before a windows install. I added windows 7 via bootcamp about 8 months ago. I use windows mostly for games. Everything was running fine until wrote this post. I do have disk warrior but have not used it on my imac. I bought it for my laptop that crashed. I was able to run disk utility from the start up disk and the hard drive checks out fine with no problems. I was able to make a back up via time machine though and I am going to try to erase and restore from that. Strangely enough, here lately as I have ben on the mac side more trying to sort things out the mac OS seems to be running a little smoother and havent had it lock up , yet. I'm thinking maybe it was an issue with the windows install. Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem. Let us know how the reinstall goes.

Part of the issue you were having may have been due to the Mac install finishing the initial Spotlight index and other system processes.

If you do an erase & install, just make sure you test the HD before proceeding. If you have a utility that will do a surface scan, that would be ideal.

Keep us in the loop,

C

Ask a Question