Disk Not Ejected Properly so often! (again)

Reaction score
When I leave my MacBookAir for a somewhat longer time (say half an hour) it goes to sleep -OK.

Then when I awake the MBA I find a lot of warnings on my screen (arond 20-dependent on the length of the sleep period) saying ''Disk Not Ejected Properly - Eject Time Machine before disconnecting or turning it off''

These warnings are created only during the sleeping period. A bug? Preferences not set OK? It looks like the disk - the time machine - still does its work OK (not sure).

Who has an idea how to eliminate this incovenience (I mean those warnings)?

Thanks, Dirk

Reaction score
When I leave my MacBookAir for a somewhat longer time (say half an hour) it goes to sleep -OK.

Then when I awake the MBA I find a lot of warnings on my screen (arond 20-dependent on the length of the sleep period) saying ''Disk Not Ejected Properly - Eject Time Machine before disconnecting or turning it off''

These warnings are created only during the sleeping period. A bug? Preferences not set OK? It looks like the disk - the time machine - still does its work OK (not sure).

Who has an idea how to eliminate this incovenience (I mean those warnings)?

Thanks, Dirk
That’s a really tricky one. Lately it has been happening to my 8-TB Time Machine drive (one of them, not the second). I went ahead and replaced it with a brand-new one, but it still kept on ejecting. I tried swapping the places where the drives are located in the Thunderbolt case, but still no change. One thing I noticed, though, is that if you log out instead of letting the Mac go to sleep, the eject does not happen. If you have a disk diagnostic app, you can test your drives for potential signs of failure. I use DriveDX myself.

I also started to experience some other strange behavior in the Mac Studio so over the weekend, I wiped the internal SSD and reinstalled the system. It probably did the trick because I have yet to experience the “Not Properly Ejected” notification, even when I allow it to sleep for a good length of time; a number of other issues seem to have been fixed as well. But I must warn everybody that erasing the internal drive and reinstalling macOS on a Silicon Mac can be quite harrowing. It had become routine for me doing it on Intel Macs, but the M1 machines are way different. Thankfully, I survived.

Reaction score
But I must warn everybody that erasing the internal drive and reinstalling macOS on a Silicon Mac can be quite harrowing. It had become routine for me doing it on Intel Macs, but the M1 machines are way different. Thankfully, I survived.
Yet another case of Apple taking something easy and turning it into complicated. Anyone remember the days when Macs were intuitive? Sigh.

Reaction score
… When most of the issues are repaired with a desktop rebuild (command-option).

Reaction score
Almost two years later and god-only-knows how many updates to the MacOS, this is still happening. Many, many warnings that the Time Machine was not ejected properly, but the time machine disk is, in fact, connected and the system is writing to it. This is one of the many, many, many reasons (even more than the number of warnings) why I use my Mac only to provide certain financial functions to my wife that she can't do with a Chromebook. Me? I do 99.9% of my computing with Arch Linux, which Just Works. If Linux were as easy to replace as a Mac, she'd be using it too. I'm experiencing this issue, by the way, on a 2018-vintage Intel Mac Mini. Spend money on an upgrade? "You cannot be serious", quoting the great John McEnroe. The Mac has become a really terrible product. Apple is as wealthy as it is because the iPhone isn't nearly as bad.

Ask a Question