External T3 SSD "Disk Not Ejected Properly"

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new Thunderbolt 3 OWC SSD external drive that connects to my 2020 Mini's T3 port and even since before I formatted the external (to APFS), I kept getting "Disk Not Ejected Properly"messages as the OWC kept unmounting on its own, even during a clone. I am running Catalina 10.15.3.

I have also experienced a similar issue on Mojave and Catalina with my USB 3.0 OWC HDD external spinning down down at random even when I am working off it. Because I use Pro Tools I disable any options for putting the Mac or display to sleep or automatically ejecting externals. Now I notice on Catalina that when the T3 SSD unmounts and I get the notification, the USB 3 drive flickers a bit.

I have tested multiple cables and ports plus unplugging my T3 audio interface (which still uses its own power supply) suspecting a bus power-power struggle between neighboring peripherals (the T3 SSD does not have its own P.S.). I have also hooked up the Mini's power supply to its own wall outlet instead of a fully populated power strip. But nothing has helped.

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated! Thank you.
Blake

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Honestly, the best route would be to contact OWC, as they have excellent customer support for their peripherals, especially since the SSD is new. Contact them and see what they say, and feel free to post their response here. We'd be happy to review/troubleshoot from there.

C

Ask a Question