Disk not ejected properly

Reaction score
Almost once per day, my M1 iMac gets a window with the following message: DISK NOT EJECTED PROPERLY. Usually it is a removable memory card or USB card that's plugged into a hub. Sometimes Finder sees that disk anyway. Last night, after the computer was sleeping, it was my Time Machine drive that's plugged directly into my iMac.

Rebooting always fixes the problem.

Is this a known issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-What brand/model is the hub?
-Is it powered or non-powered?

I would connect any standard external drives directly to the iMac, instead of through the hub, especially one used for Time Machine. Other USB peripherals are fine through a powered hub: keyboards, mice, flash drives, etc.

See if that corrects the issue.

C

Reaction score
The two drives that most often (several times per week) give this error are a memory card and a USB-A drive, neither which can be plugged directly into my M1-iMac which only has Thunderbolt & USB-C sockets. But my Time Machine is plugged directly in, and it has this failure twice.

Reaction score
Almost once per day, my M1 iMac gets a window with the following message: DISK NOT EJECTED PROPERLY. Usually it is a removable memory card or USB card that's plugged into a hub. Sometimes Finder sees that disk anyway. Last night, after the computer was sleeping, it was my Time Machine drive that's plugged directly into my iMac.

Is this a known issue?
It simply means your device doesn't fit correctly so whenever something touches it, it is moving. Make sure the port is tight enough.

Reaction score
Jacob has good input. That certainly could be the issue. Ports lose their grip over time and use.

Reaction score
It simply means your device doesn't fit correctly so whenever something touches it, it is moving. Make sure the port is tight enough.
Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night when there's nobody in the room.

Reaction score

Is this a known issue?
I have the same problem. I have two hubs. Both are made by Anker and both have their own power (plugged into a power strip). In the past I learned that if I inadvertently unplugged a disk without ejecting it properly and then plugged it right back in there was no damage, but if I plugged it into another computer there would be damage that would show up as some altered pixels in some image documents. I find the problem we're discussing very disturbing when it happens, but that past experience does ameliorate my worries a bit.

Reaction score
Quite often, I look and see that drive in Finder.

But if I plug in a card, as often as not, it doesn't show up unless I reboot. Maybe it would eventually show up, but when I plug in a drive, it's because I want it now.

Reaction score
My iMac also keeps telling me my Samsung T5 ssd did not eject properly .It has doing this for som time and so I just live with it.

Ask a Question