Disk in use by application

Reaction score
So I try to unmount a disk, and it comes back with the error that it can't do that because some application is using it. You can force eject, but you are warned that that can compromise the data on the disk. OK, so I close all applications, try again to dismount, and I STILL get the error. OK, so I relaunch Finder to let the machine screw it's brain back in and I STILL get the error. Now, I had just backed up onto that disk with SuperDuper, so I just forced an eject, and backed up on it again. After that second backup, it ejected fine. Um, why? If all applications are closed, how can an application be using that disk? More to the point, how do you dismount a disk safely if it refuses to do so?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had that happen from time to time. Normally, if you await a minute or two, you can safely eject it. Sometimes if it stays that way, I restart, then I can eject it.

Since you just performed a clone, I would lean towards Spotlight re-indexing the drive possibly, causing it to be "in use".

C

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about Spotlight. Good point. In which case, I just have to wait it out.

Reaction score
You could try System Preferences - Spotlight - Privacy and then drag the drive icon to the window. That will prevent Spotlight from indexing the drive, assuming that does not matter to you.
Also; to be certain of the cause try searching the internet for the free app 'What's Holding Me', it will tell you what is using the drive.
I hope this helps.

Ask a Question