Differences Between LibreOffice and OpenOffice

Reaction score
On another thread, Allen Davis mentioned that Open Office is working well with Mojave. Given that I am no longer using Outlook 2016 as my EMail client (switched to Thunderbird, and it works well), I am considering switching from Word and Excel to OpenOffice. However, I see where LibreOffice is also good, and in fact it seems that OpenOffice is "in bed" with LibreOffice:

"LibreOffice is an office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations, drawing tool) compatible with other major office suites. The Document Foundation is coordinating development and maintenance of this OpenOffice.org fork"

Also, the last update for OpenOffice was back in May, whereas LibreOffice was updated last month.

So, I would appreciate any information about the differences (if there are any) between these 2 suites. Also, for the Word Processing and Spreadsheet modules, how well do they convert Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel documents? Any issues/hiccups, etc.?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I don't need mobile device integration, and I had recently scene a similar article like you posted. The file format differences are important too me, and LibreOffice supports more formats. Thus I think I'll go with LibreOffice, even though I can't pick and choose which modules I want to install/retain.

Last edited:

Ask a Question