desperate warcraft help!!

Reaction score
well ric u see there is one problem with that um warcraft never crashes it just doesnt show anything i can hear everything like its playing and if i click enough i can blindly hit a button on the screen, i just can see anything. i also went looking for the log and i guess i didnt do it right in the finder so i just looked in the library under crash logs but nothing was there or under console log everything was locked thanks again and im sorry i really have no clue what im doingthanks alot

Reaction score
To me it sounds like the game is trying to display a higher resolution, or refresh rate, than your screen can handle (depending entirely on what screen you have). I myself have an old CRT scren hooked up to my mini (a PPC one though, but since you say that the game does run, albeit without graphics, I don't think that matters much), and it flickers a lot and shows a load of ghost images when the resolution/refresh rate is too high (such as Warcraft III is set to by default), LCD's and other/newer CRT's may display a blank screen instead (I don't know)... you can get into the video settings in the game by pressing O V when the game has loaded (in that order, not at the same time, and wait a second or so between the keys for the menus to roll up and down), but there's no keyboard shortcut for changing the resolution when you've come that far, sorry.

One solution is to hook up a screen that you know can support a higher resolution then change to the lowest resolution, switch back to the other screen, and lastly raise the resolution step by step and clicking OK every time it looks good (the game will switch back to the resolution you had before if you don't click OK in 10 seconds or so).

The other I can think of (but doesn't work on Intel machines, since they don't have Classic), is to manually edit the file "Warcraft III Preferences" with the old program "Resedit" (or if a similar program exists for OS X, in which case it should be possible on Intel macs as well)... I can even guess what resource should be what value, they have fairly descriptive names (except they're in the form of Windows registry paths, YUCK), and seem to be hexadecimal values.

Reaction score
ok well i have a old crappy compaq presario screen which im sure cannot support very high resolutions could that be the problem and i tried the whole O V thing and it could hear it, it was doing something but i couldnt see it still THIS IS ***I WANT TO PLAY WARCRAFT!!!!

Reaction score
Do you have another computer with a bigger/better/newer screen that you can borrow for a while?

Yes, I said there isn't any shortcut for changing the resolution setting, only to switch between the menus (O and V is for Options and Video, by the way).

I just found out there is a Resource editor for OS X as well, called ResKnife, so that one may work on your Intel machine.
If it does run, do:
1) find the file /Users/<you>/Library/Preferences/Warcraft III Preferences
2) copy that file to another place, for example the desktop (just in case stuff goes more wrong than it already is)
3) open the original file with ResKnife
4) edit the resource HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Video\reswidth to say "00 00 00 04 00 00 02 80" (280 is 640 in hexadecimal)
5) edit the resource HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Video\resheight to say "00 00 00 04 00 00 01 e0" (1E0 is 480 in hexadecimal)
6) save the file
7) try to run the game (I just changed the resolution like this, and it seems to work, cannot say if it does for you though)

8) if the game runs well, try to step up the resolution as I described earlier

Reaction score
ok well um i have the unarchiver program to unzip programs and when i tried to open resknife it said i couldnt open it with this program. but i had a thought while trying this, i have one of those cables to use my tv as a moniter for my comp(its a rather large sylvania tv) could that work?!?!?!? thanks for the suggestions

Reaction score
Try unpacking it with Stuffit Expander instead, might work better... I do not know about the TV, but usually TV's have a much lower resolution than computer screens (if it's a "normal" TV, you can most often get up to 800x600 or less, while most LCD's/plasmas go to 1024x768, and HDTV's/HD-ready TV's should go higher depending on if it supports 1080p/i or 720p/i for vertical resolution).

Reaction score
hey um i plugged my comp into my tv and it finally worked, unfortunatly my internet cable didnt reach so i couldnt play but thats beside the point. what does this mean cuz it worked on the tv but it still doesnt work on my monitor. i tried getting that stuff it thing but they have to send me a conforitory e-mail first and they still havent so grrrrr.

Reaction score
Lower the resolution to the lowest the game can set it (Options->Video->Resolution, I think), then try again on the monitor, and as I said, go up one step at a time while at the monitor.... if you haven't already, that is.

Reaction score
WOOT WOOT WOOOOTTTTTT i got a new moniter yeah my old one was so crappy the resolution was worse than my tv warcraft works now. thanks a whole lot everyone for the help

Ask a Question