Newbie desperate

Reaction score
Hi everybody
Great to find a help site, really need it now. I have a UK MacBook Pro early 2011. It had a new hard drive last September in France.

I use a uk keyboard and can alter to a French Azerty , like an idiot I put it to sleep with the French in operation. My password is uk letters and numbers. The letters are easy but I can' t find how to put the numbers in.

Is there any kind person out there who can help me please?

Kind regards
Ann

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have never run across this type of issue before. After looking around the Internet, it seems that you should be able to hold the Shift key and press the numbers using a French AZERTY keyboard layout.

Give that a try and let us know.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thank you for replying. I have tried the shift it doesn't do anything just shake at me!

Do you think it could be something to do with the French hard drive that was put in last September?

I have searched the Internet as well and can't find any similar problems. The new drive was put in, in Toulouse which is 200 Kim's + away.

I think maybe it is a combination of 2 or more keys but can't seem to find which.

I would be grateful for any suggestions

Best wishes
Ann

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It shouldn't have anything to do with the hard drive having been installed in France, as they are all manufactured in Asia. It doesn't sound like a hardware issue, it sounds more of a key combination because of the the French AZERTY keyboard layout that was chosen.

-Try the Control key
-Try combinations of the Shift and Control keys with one of the others - Alt and Command
-Do you have a USB keyboard you could connect to try?

I switched my keybaord layout to French AZERTY and the Shift key allowed me to type numbers after the screen saver and sleep were implemented. Maybe there is another issue going on here.

I will search around the Internet and see if I can find some additional information.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory

Thanks again, I have tried every key combination, wrote them down so I knew I hadn't missed anything.

Here is the strange part, 1.30 am so frustrated I banged in my original password just as normal..... and it opened, I don't know what was going on, just hope it never happens again.

I think your site is great, it really was comforting to know I wasn't alone....... not a spring chicken you know!!

I'll check for virus's, bugs etc. maybe something odd on my system. It just seems so strange

Thanks again
Ann:)

Ask a Question