desperate warcraft help!!

Reaction score
ok heres the deal about a month ago i bought a 1.5 ghz mac mini intel core solo! IT has been a perfect comp so far but i just bought the warcraft 3 battle chest for mac and i cant get it FREKIN started. it would be greatly appreciated if some one could guide me. everything works fine till i try to actually play. i press the warcraft 3 icon the screen goes black like its gonna start, then i here it start up and i know everything is working but it wont display anything on the screen except black. i posted on several forums already and their suggestions havent worked.i tried changeing the "movies " folders' name. and nothing. i tried downloading the Xcode thing from apple and that hasent help either PLEASE if anyone knows whats going on please respond.(sorry for the long winded post)

Reaction score
Have you installed WC3?
Do you get the main menu up?

I remember buying Warcraft 3+expansion pack and the WC3 game didn't come with Mac version burnt in. I later found out that there was a manufacturing problem and a whole batch of WC3 reign of chaos games had only the PC version on the CD and I had to take it back. I eventually bought 4 more versions and 1 of them had the game on it, other 3 didn't.

But you say your screen goes black...hmm that sounds like you have installed the game but some files may not have been copied etc.

I suggest you reinstall the game as something might of interrupted the installation.

Also make sure you have downloaded the latest patch!

Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos Mac 1.12e

I think this is the correct up_to_date patch for a freshly installed game.

Hope this helps!

*edit*

Just thought on....You're using an intel mac. I'm not sure if that's why it won't work. Perhaps Blizzard haven't changed the game to work on it from PPC. Try updated the game with the lasted patch and let us know what happens.

Reaction score
Hello Drakfreeze and Welcome!!

To add to Danster's excellent suggestions, I would try this:

Quit the program if it's open
Open your applications folder
Right click (hold Cntrl and mouse click) on the application and select Get Info
You should see two checkboxes. Check the checkbox that says Open Using Rosetta.
Close the Get info window and try running the app.

Let us know if this works!

Searay

Reaction score
hey um i have already tried the patch thing and it said that there was nothing that needed to be fixed so um... and as for the reinstallation thing i have done that about four times cuz i really wanted this to work and it hasent, as far as i know i have tried pretty much everything . i really hope its not cuz i have a intel mac cuz then i would have to wait a while till they fix it. thanks for all the help and if u have any more suggestions that would be great.

Reaction score
um i just re read ur msg and i have no idea what rosetta is i tried to do that thing u said with the checkboxes but it wasent there pls help thank you

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Rename the "movies" folder found inside the warcraft directory to "moviesoff".

Then try it again...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
well ric thanks alot for the help but unfortunately renaming the folder does not work either i tried "moviesoff" and every variation of that phrase and it didnt change i still cant see the game, just alot of black!?!?!

Ric

Reaction score
Hmmm,

I found that on the warcraft site, and it apparrently fixed it for others in the same position...

I'll investigate further...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
yeah i was told to change the folder thing by several others as well cuz i have posted my questions on many different forums i will keep investigating as well thanks again for all the help

Reaction score
in al likley hood rosetta doesnt support this game yet and you wil just have to wait
that or buy your self a cheap ppc mac
wc 3 works fine on my MDD ...no im not gloating

Reaction score
dude everyone keeps talking about this rosetta thing im not even sure if a have it, i looked it up on spotlight and it said i dont so does that change anything or what cuz i cant find a place to download it. i dont even know if i can download it or if i have to buy it. once again thx for all the help WOOSH!

Reaction score
off course you have rosetta eveyr intel mac has rosetta
its an invisible aplication layer that automatically runs with intel mac os x
its functions as an emulator and translates power pc instructions in to something the intel chip set can under stand and run
in other words it allows you to run older ppc mac programs with out too much fuss
it is slower then running a app diretly on the hard ware and it doesnt always work
( quake 4 and star wars kotor 1 dont work i know that from experience)

Reaction score
well thanks for all the help i guess my only option at this point is to wait for a patch or something. but ric didnt u say something about when i hit the get info button there should be a box that says open with rosetta cuz if there is im missing it or something, other than that i guess im stuck. THANKS ALOT EVERYBODY!!

Reaction score
Yeah, check this out.

Right click (Cntrl click) on the app. Select Get Info. Now a box like this should appear:

picture1vz0.png

In my example, I use Safari. There is a checkbox there called Open Using Rosetta.

Maybe that can help you now.

Reaction score
thanks for the visual it helps but mine just says "select new original" where "open with rosetta" should be when i select get info on warcraft 3 thanks again for all the help

Reaction score
If it says "select new original" it sounds like you're getting info on the alias instead of the actual Warcraft game... Do the right click (control click) thing again, but this time instead of "Get Info" select "Show Original." That'll take you to where the actual game is, and then you can do a "Get Info" on that to get to where the "open with rosetta" check box is.

Reaction score
thanks for the sugestion but unfortunatley that didnt work either i did the show origanal and found it but all it has is under the color label thing is a checkbox to lock it there is no second box . thanks again

Reaction score
ok if anyone hears about something to make my game work a patch or something pls inform me cuz im gonna be looking but chances are u will know long before i do.thanks for all the help WOOSH

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you try and open Warcraft...let it crash, then send me your log files and I'll gladly have a look through them to see whats up.

/Library/logs

and

/User/Yourusername/Library/logs

/var/log (you will have to type shift command g in the finder to access this folder, then type /Var/log)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question