DESPERATE! seriously slow start up 15 mins!

Reaction score
got a seriously slow start up on os9 but i also have os x on there too. the computer is a g4 laptop and im really not that familiar with macs.

The computer starts up fine at first and shows all the icons exept the icon for os x. it takes about ten to fifteen minutes to load the icon and before then you cannot operate anything. it seems to look for it. im in france for two weeks an im stuffed. i have no software to wipe the machine.

just to mention the icon for the os9 was just a back slash. could somethong have changed? i have rename it now.

any ideas? have run the disk doc to no avail.:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

do you need it to boot in OS 9 or OS X ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

have you tried starting up with the shift key held down to disable extensions...

...that may get you a bit further, so that we can then do some fault finding.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi ric i will try that in the morning but i dont really know what to disable? im used to a pc so im long way off getting to grips with it. i will try anything just to get it going. i dont understand why there is no defrag or system restore. or am i wrong.

regars

andrew

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

sorry there is no System Restore, defrag won't really help in this matter.

Holding down the shift key in OS 9 will disable the extensions, this may allow you to boot, give it a go and let us know what happens ?

if not try an boot up in OS X, hold down the X key whilst starting up, this should force a boot into OS X...

...let us know if either boot up ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
evenin ric

just had a go at starting up the laptop in os9 by holding the shift key down. started much faster! too about 4 minutes instead of 15! still slow but faster. whats my next move, tried starting without shift key and back to same peoblem. is there a way of permenantly disableing or removing the damaged os x?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

before we do anything...

Do you want the Mac to work in OS 9 or OS X ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
morning ric

os9 would be preferred so no need for osx at present.

the version is os 9.2 at present.

regards

andrew

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

do you have any disk utility software with you ?

You should have the Apple Disk Utility Software in your Applications-->Utilities if you have boot up holding down the shift key again and do a repair disk, then try booting without the shift key held down...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Also go to the control panels-->startup disk and an make sure that the OS 9 (classic) folder is selected, then reboot.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
tantrum999 said:
hi rick

got a pc with me so i have run disc check on os9 and osx. it also give an option to repair or verify on the ram disk internal ram disk. should i run a check on that?

regards

andrew

Hi Andrew,

not exactly sure what you mean/have done have you used the PC to run disk utility software on the Mac hard drive ?

Back to my previous questions...above ?

Does it boot without the shift key held down , now ?

Also go to the control panels-->startup disk and an make sure that the OS 9 (classic) folder is selected, then reboot.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi rick

run all utilities an still no joy. says all is ok.

This is what happens every time.

Switch machine on
the machine starts in os9
see all but one of the desktop icons apart from the osx icon.
The icon appears after about 15/20 minutes.(as i said unusable till it appears)

regards

andrew

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

do you mean the "Extension Icons" along the bottom of the screen when the Mac is booting ?

Does the Mac boot ? Can you select OS 9 as the Startup disk ?

Is there any way you can show me a picture of this 'osx icon' ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi ric

using a pc laptop as means of internet, sorry for confusion.

i am really new to macs.

on boot up the white box on the screen says os9.
as for the classic selection i will try that in the morning. when you say select it before booting, how?
i have never even used the os, it was installed by my friend who had the machine first.

casting my mind back the time it started going really slow was not long after i turned the networking off. it is disabled now.

as i say the machine boots fine in the end but only after 15 to 20 minutes after which the machine operates fine.

i will try get the pictures of the icons tomorrow with a digi cam. it is a 3d square box top right hand corner on the desktop.

regards

andrew.

i will do it now but only just started it up and i cant turn it off till its loaded. incidentally ther is no HANGING NOISE that i can hear.

regards

andrew

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew,

thats a bit clearer now...

as for the classic selection i will try that in the morning. when you say select it before booting, how?
Don't worry about that for now ! It is done once you have booted...Apple Menu-->Control Panels-->Startup Disk

casting my mind back the time it started going really slow was not long after i turned the networking off. it is disabled now.

Can you turn networking back on ? Does it then speed up ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question