getting desperate

Reaction score
I have searched for 2 days now to find an idiot guide to setting up security. I am now totally confused as to which anti virus, firewall, spyware etc I need. I was just going to buy Norton but read that there are better and free ones. Free is good obviously but just want to be covered and cant take much more confusion. I did try to down load some suggestions but got a message there is no default application specified to open ducument and asked to choose application. Being a bit of a computer dunce I dont know how to do this.
I'd be really grateful if someone could suggest the security I need which are compatible with mac os x, and maybe a site I can do a tutorial on the basics!
Thank you :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

I'll do you a quick guide to security on your Mac, this evening !

Can you let us know what version of Mac OS you have ?

How you currently connect to the Internet ?

What type of Mac, ADSL modem etc you have ?

This way we can make sure that we give you the right advice...

...don't worry we all started some where !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Dear Ric thanks v much - my mac os x version 10.4.4. Im with pipex broadband via a usb. The ADSL modem is D - link supplied from pipex who also said would supply zonelabs but they are having a problem (great start) so I have not downloaded yet. If you also have time would you be able to explain how I choose applications? I get it quite often when downloading something which wont open. Also if you know of an online tutorial for the basics! One last problem, when I downloaded software update for os x I could not get my screen up again after the 'restart'. So I panicked and after constant pressing on the start button I lidted the keyboard up but only managed to set off a loud whirring sound so took the battery out. Could you tell me what I should do if it happens again. Thank you again :eek:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

In answer to your first post

first off there are currently no virus'(s) that affect Mac OS X.

There is only one piece of 'spyware' that I know off and that was on Sony Music CD's, but Sony have had to remove that now. Again there is none.

You can run Anti Virus software on your Mac if you want, but most people don't. It can help any Windows friends you have.

Whilst you can not get infected by any of the Windows Virus's you can forward them on, Anti Virus software would catch these and delete the relevant bits.

For example, if someone sent you an attachment as a '.exe' file, this will not run on your Mac and can do no harm, but if you were to forward the email to a friend that had Windows so that they could have a look at it, then you are in theory passing it along. Anti Virus Software would hopefully recognize the relevant code in the '.exe' and warn you that it is a Virus.

The files that you have downloaded, what are there names, that may help us to decipher what went wrong ?

I'll put up a walkthrough on what to do Security wise later tonight, sorry was very busy last night.

For now if you go to System Preferences-->Sharing-->Firewall then click on start , this will turn 'on' the Mac's in built Firewall, this will stop any nasty people trying to get into your Mac. The only one that 'should/is' ticked is Network Time.

The first two images below are how it should look before turning on.

firewall001.jpg

firewall002.jpg

After you have clicked the start button it should look like this...

firewall003.jpg

Now do a restart.

Your Mac now is protected from any incoming 'probes' from the Internet.

In answer to your second post

Don't worry about ZoneLabs it is not necessary if you use the inbuilt Mac OS X firewall.

Have you installed it already ? If not then don't at the minute. Two software firewalls can complicate matters...

When you say 'how do I choose applications ?'

I presume that you have downloaded something, then double clicked and it doesn't understand what program to open 'it' in ? Can you give example names ?

The chances are you are downloading .sit files these are compressed files, which you need an Application called Stuffit Expander to uncompress them...it's free ! Stuffit Expander

You 'crashed' when downloading the 10.4.4 update...to force the Mac to reboot you can hold down the command + option key and then while they are both being held down press the start key.

When updating software, you should always run Disk Utility before and after, I'll show you how later, this solves these type of problems.

What type of Mac do you have ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi ric thanks so much you are a star - I went to systems preferences (great picture help) and clicked on network time, however personal file sharing is also on and I can't click it off - is that still ok?
The download was some security ad-aware or something not sure as I binned it, as I do all the ones that ask me to choose applications as when I try with anything that then lights up the choose button it invariably then just shows signs and not text.
your help with disk utility would be much appreciated as I'm worried ill damage my laptop which is an iBook power book 4,3, powerPC 750 (2.3) 900 mhz, memory 640 mb, bus speed 100 mhz, boot rom 4.6.4fl. I had an imac but only one port works so only use laptop.
My other problem is the mail, which I seem to have played with but cant get any passwords to work and have tried help with keychains etc but dont want to do anything else to foul it up - if you have pictures for that too would be very grateful. You should write a book, I have the Robin Williams one, but it doesnt seem to help with errors made before!
Thanks again for all your help
p.s does the keyboard have a hash sign

Reaction score
hi ric just tried your stuffit download and bingo got message Internet explorer doesnt know how to handle the type of file you selected
you can choose to save this file to your disk or configer helper application for this file - mime type:application/dmg, file name stuffit expander 10.dmg. The button options were cancel, save file as, plug in and flickering blue application. clicked on application and it went to documents but the open button was grey.
This is the sort of thing I was talking about, although in a slightly different format.
I have safari, opera and firefox so I will try via them

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there, first go back to System Preferences-->Sharing-->Services

and unclick Personal File Sharing

then it should look like mine saying that Personal File Sharing is off !

firewallTiger002.jpg

Then go back to the Firewall Tab and unselect the Personal File Sharing button...

Then Restart. This is important.

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you have followed the Instructions above your Mac is now fairly secure, people have noway of 'looking in' from the Internet !

As it was set up, with Personal File Sharing enabled, this would allow people to shared folders on your Mac.

They would still have needed a username and password, so do't worry about it, as long as it's off now.

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is there any particular reason for using Internet Explorer ?

I would certainly try Safari, Firefox or Opera first. Try downloading a file etc and when you get the error message, don't click it...

type command+shift+3

Hold down the command and shift key and then press 3

you should here a camera shutter sound and then a new file will appear on your desktop...

Screen Grab help here.

this will do a screen Grab of what you are seeing, you can then 'add that' as an attachment to a post here, so we can see, what you see !

This is always handy in any fault finding.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Disk Utility help will get posted later tonight !

You have an iBook 900MHZ, G3 Processor, with 640MB of RAM, is that correct ?

You 'had' an iMac ? Have you still got it ? Only one port works ? Do you need help ?

I'll do a 'Mail' guide later...

Hash key depending on your OS (International, US etc) is normally...

option + 3

#

I should write a book ! But there are not enough hours in the day ! ;-)

Haven't read the Robin Williams one...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
Ive done that and will try again for the stuffit - but my connection has suddenly got very slow, back to the grim days of dial up - so might try again later. I hope its not because Ive done something I shouldn't!?
The only reason I use the Explorer is because all the links from email etc open it - is there a way I can get things to open in the other browsers?
Again thank you so much

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
Yes thats right although it says 640 MB SDRAM!
I keep getting the dreaded wheel do you think something is making it so slow?
I'd love to get my imac going again but its very old (turquoise) as I got it 2nd hand so im not sure how much memory etc and no internet connection. But it would be great for work as with the pipex I have to sit right next to the phone plug in the kitchen as wont work with an extension so I constantly have to relocate to work - not great.
The robin williams is good but hasn't been much help re struggles I come across. Its very big but does not always have what I'm looking for ie where the hash is! I keep meaning to work through the chapters but usually in a rush!
:)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

The dreaded wheel ! All depend on what are doing, we can run a few maintenance tasks to see if there is anything specific the matter.

As for having to relocate because the 'extension' doesn't work, the chances are that you have a 'regular' phone extension, this won't work, if you have a look at the ends where the wires meet the plug it probably only has two wires in it...this is fine for just extending a phone socket, but to use with 'data' you need one with all the wires in it !

You can get cheap extension cables that will allow you to extend from the phone socket to the modem so that you can plug one end into the phone socket and one end into the USB Modem...

If you have any more questions, please start a new thread, this way losts more people will see them and be able to help...

It's okay for you to post as many individual questions as you want...it's easier for people to answer them individually.

A lot of people view this site with an RSS reader and so only see the 'Subject', so 'getting desperate' doesn't help them much ;-)

This is how it looks in an RSS Reader...

rssmachelp.jpg

Try something like...How do I _________? or What does this______Mean? in the subject heading then more people will be able to help.

Don't worry if you have 'hundreds' of questions, that's fine post away !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Thats what we're here for...

...I have started a few walkthroughs in the "New to Mac" forum.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question