Dead Quicksilver

Reaction score
Hi - this seems to be a common thread, and if it is identical to one already posted, I apologize in advance.
My DP800 QS2001 'died' about 7 months ago, and refuses to boot up. Symptoms are that pressing the power button results in the button lighting up whilst it is depressed, but nothing else. No fans, no chimes, no HD startup, no video, nada. I have thus far replaced the power supply, motherboard and 3.6v battery - with no change in the outcome. I have tried all the combinations of cuda pressing, removing RAM, Internal Battery, waiting for x minutes etc., also with no change.
Can anyone help?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

the power supply, motherboard and battery that you have replaced...are these 'known good' parts from a working machine ?

You've not got a lot left to change ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
err ...well uhh
are the parts you used froma good machine ?
what about the cpu or the ram it self and maybe just maybe the hd is the culprit

maybe we should pray to the computer gods once again

Reaction score
OK - Power Supply - Brand New
Battery - Brand New
Motherboard - Second Hand (*bay) - guaranteed to be working
RAM checked in my Wife's Cube and OK
HD's all checked

That leaves the CPU.

Reaction score
Wow, exact same thing has happened to me, last evening. Identical symptoms. So, I figured it was power supply, as I have swapped out ram, processors, tried to boot from cd, have 2 internal bootable drives. After pressing the reset button on the motherboard, even less reaction from power button. Agh! now i don't want to drop the $200 on a power supply if ity dfidn't help you.
Have you found a solution yet? I have NOT, yest hate to buy a new mac with all my upgrades on this until-yesterday-awesome G4.

DO YOUR FANS RUN? Mine do, which makes me think, NOT power supply.

Reaction score
No - My Fans do not run - there is nothing running at all. Except me, in circles of frustration.

Reaction score
well that leaves your powersupply ( are you sure it works with this machine )
the cpu
or the mother board ( from ebay and just because its guranteed to work doesnt mean it does work )

im inclined to say your psu or mobo is busted maybe even both
just because the psuis new doesnt mean it cant be broken

otherwise i am at a total loss and wil pray to the pc gods tonight

Reaction score
Wow, exact same thing has happened to me, last evening. Identical symptoms. So, I figured it was power supply, as I have swapped out ram, processors, tried to boot from cd, have 2 internal bootable drives. After pressing the reset button on the motherboard, even less reaction from power button. Agh! now i don't want to drop the $200 on a power supply if ity dfidn't help you.
Have you found a solution yet? I have NOT, yest hate to buy a new mac with all my upgrades on this until-yesterday-awesome G4.

DO YOUR FANS RUN? Mine do, which makes me think, NOT power supply.

im thinking its your motherboard that has comitted suicide here

Reaction score
I bought a brand new power supply - from a commercial concern. It did not change anything in regards to the behavior of my computer. Ditto the battery. The motherboard came from ebay (with a guarantee) and whilst I may have been conned, it also did not change the behavior. It is possible that either the replacement power supply or motherboard may have been bad - but identically bad? I believe that a dud CPU would not prevent the fans from starting - but I could be wrong. The hard part of all this is that I am on very low income, and need my computer, and have already spent a lot of money - shelling out more money I don't have for a CPU that will also not fix the problem is not really possible.

Reaction score
well we can run rings and rings and flush money down the drain i think its a bad mother board or psu but i think its your best option to forget this machine and get a differnt one an used MDD a imac G4 a imac G5 a used mini or a new mini prices are dropping fast thansk to the intel models and i think its your best option now because right now i dont see any solution that is not going to cost you more money and it wont giarantee you a working machine

i stil think its a bad psu or mobo but that decision to spend that money is yours

personally id get a differnt computer so id at least have a computer and sorting this one out wont be a necesity

Reaction score
Yeah - me thinks that is sage advice - sell everything I have off - then buy a replacement that works. I may even generate enough to get a late model MDD Duallie.
Hmmm. Anybody want to buy some power supplies, motherboards, cases, CPU's, etc.?

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of the same problem. With a new power supply and logic board already invested, I took it to a local mac service for a diagnostic. They said the power-on board is dead and were able get around it to power up in their shop. They've ordered one from apple, but it hasn't shipped. I've done a little shopping in case they can't get it. I've found that the empty cases on ebay usually still have the power-on button installed. Also, welovemacs.com has one (p/n 922-4562). Hope this helps.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Is it giving any error beeps? Does the logic board LED light? Have you verified the video card is good on another machine...or tried to boot without it in place?

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that the fans do not come on? Open the case and see if they surge on for just a fraction of a second, then shut off. I have this problem as well (power light comes on as long as you press it but system does not power up) and thought it was a power supply issue, but checked with a voltmeter that PS is fine. Now the determination, confirmed by an Apple tech, is that it is the processor card.

Reaction score
OK - I have just changed over the Power On Board with again no change overall.
To answer some of the recent questions - no Fans start, even briefly, no Motherboard Lights come on, booting with or without the Graphics Card, with or without DVD or HD, with or without RAM, it all makes no difference. There are no beeps at all, either error or otherwise.

I am giving up.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and ideas - I will assume that it is the CPU that is faulty, although I really have no idea.

So I guess it is back to the previous plan - sell the bleeding lot and get another machine!@!

Reaction score
Well, I have one more "idea." We both seem to be suffering similar problems, although not quite identical. I wonder if it might serve a purpose to swap some parts back and forth to see if one or the other fixes one machine. The best case scenario of course would be that I have a part that fixes your machine and you have a part that fixes mine. Let me know

-Mark

Ask a Question