Dead Drive

Reaction score
I had a 3 Tb external drive croak. It was fine, but after unmounting it, it wouldn't mount again and neither DiskUtility or DiskWarrior could fix it because of an unspecified hardware malfunction. DiskWarrior is able to transfer the files from the dead dog onto a new drive, although it has been beavering away for three days and nights straight and is just halfway there. Is the enclosure of the defunct LaCie drive of any use, or should it just go onto my electronic scrap heap, which is going to cost me a fortune at the recycling center?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It could be the drive enclosure, the drive itself, or both. Hard to tell without seeing it.

Did DiskWarrior ever mount the drive so you could attempt file recovery?

C

Reaction score
Yes, as I said, DW was able to xfer the files to a new drive after being unable to mount or repair the old drive because of an unspecified mechanical problem. It took it about a week, running day and night, but the files are good and fully functional. I was just wondering if the enclosure itself was worth salvaging with a new drive, or if it should just go on my junk heap.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Just wanted to make sure your data recovery was complete.

If you have another drive you could try in the LaCie enclosure, that might be a good step to try. If it acts the same, then it is the enclosure. No way to test it other than installing another drive.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Thanks. It's one of those fancy aluminum Porche drives with the Big Blue Light. I don't have anything lying around I could try, so it's probably a wild goose chase.

Ask a Question