Database app?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

what sort of data do you want to 'process', functionality are you after ?

I currently use MySQL, Filemaker Pro, and 4D but all for different purposes...

Depends what you want to do ?

This website is powered by a MySQL database...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric

It's fairly basic. At work and home I have a number of databases in Lotus Approach 97 and I could do with something similar for the Macs. I've found Access too "over the top" on my PC but the old version of Approach was just fine

I have a number of SQL databases on my site but was wanting something less hassle on the Mac

Filemaker seems the obvious choice but I feel hard of shelling out over £200 when hopefully soemthing a bit cheaper and basic might do the job

Regards

Mike

Reaction score
Right now, OpenOffice is available on the Mac. You want version 2.0. At present, the 2.01 version isn't available in a Mac binary. You must have X11 loaded on your Mac to run it, and if you want to compile the latest and greatest version from source, you'll need to load Developer Tools and the X11 SDK. (N.B.: Rolling your own from source code takes a *while* to compile, and you need to be fluent in the Unix side of the Mac.) Stick with the binaries if you can.

The DB included with OpenOffice 2.0 is 1st Base (I think). It's relational. You use OpenOffice's Forms capability as a front end (works kind of like FileMaker Pro.) Once you've established and populated a database, you can include fields from it in any OpenOffice document. There's a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Best part is that it's free.

Reaction score
If you all you need is a basic and really cheap database solution you may consider the database solution of AppleWorks which is preinstalled on many (most?) Mac computers.

Regards
Ruedi

Reaction score
I downloaded OpenOffice the other night but nothing happened when I ran it. I'll maybe download it again, checking which version I'm getting, and try again.

I found Appleworks and its database the same night. I don't have it on the Powerbook but it's on the iMac. I had a little play with it and it might do for what I want.

Cheers

Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

as Ruedi suggest's if you have AppleWorks, then that certainly should fill the bill.

From memory it's quite good, didn't get it on my last Mac, haven't seen it for a while...

A few free training videos here if you want them...non for the database bit though, unless you pay...

http://www.vtc.com/products/appleworks.htm

regards

Ric

Reaction score
AppleWorks is available on all OS X installation disks, usually under the Applications section, or something like that. It does not require a complete re-install of the OS, just pop in your disk, and look through the directories.

I use the DB function of AppleWorks for a lot of stuff, primarily because it is free, and you can customize your layouts and reports very, very easily.

Craig Smith

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that Craig...

I've had a quick look through my Tiger (Retail) DVD and can only find AppleWorks Chinese and Korean version's ???

I'll have another look through the original Panther instal cd's that came with this laptop, but I haven't tracked it down yet...

I remember it being included on OS 9 and before disks but can't recall it on any of my OS X disks..What disks have you found it on ? And what version of AppleWorks is it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric:

It is most likely on one of the original intall disks, not the Tiger DVD. You know, those gray (grey?) disks that come with the machine? Any of those discs (regardless of the machine) should have applications somewhere, it may even be labelled on the disc itself. I have all my disks at my office, or I would look for you (I am at home until Friday). If you still cannot find it, let me know, and I can probably send you the package via e-mail. It is not huge.

I have done some more reading, and it turns out that the people who authored the DB function of AppleWorks are the same individuals that put together FileMaker. I must re-itereate that I have found the AW DB section to be very useful, versatile, and scriptable as well. I like it, and it is my favorite price; FREE.

Ask a Question