how to open KeePass database

Reaction score
On my MacBook I used until now KeePassX-0.4.3.dmg without problems as a safe for passwords etc. I recently installed macOS Sierra and since that I cannot open the safe any more. The Masterpassword is not even asked for.

Since the KeePass version I used is a very old one, I wonder if I could do what follows:

If I download the newest version of Keepass for the Mac would I then be able to open my existing database that I created with the old version? ‘Import’ or something similar? Some people already made similar suggestions.

If so, how would the ‘import procedure look like?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would definitely contact the makers of KeePass and see if a newer version would work under Sierra. Maybe the latest version 2.34 would open and allow an import of the older password database.

I haven't ever used KeePass, so I can't comment for sure.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. In fact I solved the problem encouraged by some helpful comments from others: Download the new KeePassX version and open it. Then choose the old database and try to open it. KeepassX cannot - and asks to import the old file which is then also converted to a readable form for the new version. It works, you can open the database using the old Masterpassword (as it should, of course....).
In the meantime I kept the old configuration on a stick, but I did not need it. But you never know..
Thanks again, Dirk

Ask a Question