Data Transfer

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently had a 2013-15 (not exactly sure on the year, but the range is correct) Macbook Pro, which had a run-in with a spilled beverage on the laptop itself. I took this to Apple and they took the SD hard drive out and said that they could read the files on the chip, but it would cost me $400 to recover this information. I figured that I could do this myself if I purchased the right adapters to plug this into my new MacBook Pro or my PC (windows 10) to recover the data files from my now fried MacBook Pro. So I went to researching and bought a M.2 PCl3 SSD Key M to USB 3.0 External reader and a M.2 NGFF 28 pin SSD Adapter for "read SD from MacBook 2013-2015 Year in M-Key Slot". I plugged all of these into each other (together 3 items) and then plugged it into my MacBook and my PC to see if either of them would recognize the SD Harddrive. Neither has worked and after running into roadblock after roadblock, I am hoping y'all on this forum can help!

Thank you for your time in advance!

Reaction score
I assume you mean the SSD from your "fried" MacBook Pro? If you do, is that SSD mounted inside an external enclosure? And again, if it is, how are connecting it to your new MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Yes, the SSD from the 'fried' MacBook Pro. I have included photos to show you how I've used the adapters that I mentioned in my original post. I am connecting it via the USB port.

Attachments

• IMG_6514JPG.jpg
    IMG_6514JPG.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6515JPG.jpg
    IMG_6515JPG.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6516JPG.jpg
    IMG_6516JPG.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Hmm, I've never seen such a device before.

So, when you plug it into a USB port, you cannot see it at all on the desktop? Similarly, can't see it via Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. When I tried to see if I could somehow partition it for some reason, it does show, but with 0MB with Mini-tool Partition Wizard.

Disk Utility gives me the following error message: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.

What kinds of setups have you seen? What can I try instead?

Thank you for your replies!

Reaction score
What did you try to do with Disk Utility?

If Disk Utility can at least access the SSD, you could try and Repair it. But that's risky, especially if any data on the SSD is critical/important.

Reaction score
I just wanted to see if it would be recognized. And I read about that being risky and I do not want to lose any data at all.

Would you suggest a different setup or something else to plug this into?

Reaction score
Would need to do some more research. But with the SSD having a hardware issue/error, could be difficult to get the data off of it.

Reaction score
Alright, I appreciate it. The only reason I am pursuing this more is that the Apple Tech was able to pull up the information on my SSD. There has got to be a way...

right?

Reaction score
Alright, I appreciate it. The only reason I am pursuing this more is that the Apple Tech was able to pull up the information on my SSD. There has got to be a way...

right?
One would think so. But the software to do that could be expensive (assuming it exists).

Reaction score
OK, had some time to get back to this. This link is useful:

From what I have seen and read, Disk Drill is the best. You can start by using the free version to do a comprehensive scan of the "problematic" SSD. But to actually recover the information, it looks like you'll need to purchase Disk Drill, for $89:

There is a "media only" version available in the App Store, for $39.99:

But that can only recover media-related files, etc.

If you decide to pay for Disk Drill, do a google search first for reviews of it. That could provide valuable information.

Reaction score
Thank you for your time MartyByrde,
I have downloaded these and am about to dive into them one by one, hoping that they'll recognize my unique set-up and get my files back!

Thank you again, I'll let you know how it goes!

Reaction score
Some MacBook Pros and Airs use an Apple-specific SSD internally. The SSDs will fit into 'ordinary' adapters but will remain inoperable.

Check this web page: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENPRPCI/

The list on that page is very specific. For example, the Envoy Pro enclosure works with 'late 2013' (11,1) MacBook Pros, but not with the 'early 2013' (10,1) version.

There may be some advantage to Apple proprietary version of otherwise common SSDs, but it certainly is inconvenient and costly for users. [I have had to deal with both 10,1 and 11,1 computers. The Envoy Pro drive works with the drive from the latter but not the former. And, of course, it does not work with ordinary, less expensive SSDs.]

Reaction score
Thank you MartyByrde, though those did not work on this. I had to go with MLGochnauer's approach and get the SSD specific adapter. I have been able to see the files, now just need to find MY files within all the folders that I see. Thank you for all your help thus far!

Reaction score
Thank you MartyByrde, though those did not work on this. I had to go with MLGochnauer's approach and get the SSD specific adapter. I have been able to see the files, now just need to find MY files within all the folders that I see. Thank you for all your help thus far!
Darn! Sorry none of that worked for you. But hopefully you're on your way to recover the information.

Good luck!

Ask a Question