transfering data to new macbook

Reaction score
I have both an older and a new macbook, when trying to transfer data to the new one with migration assistant the old one does not recognize the newer one., I also tried to transfer with the older one as a start up disk but it only transferred programs, no settings or files.

Reaction score
From my experience, you would start with your new Macbook, and then transfer all non-Apple files, folders, etc. from the old Mac to the new one. Don't quite understand what you mean by "the old one does not recognize the newer one". Migration Assistant would be launched from the new Macbook. By the way, how are your two Macbooks connected?

Recently, I did something similar, in that via a bootable SuperDuper! backup, I 1) erased and partitioned the internal SSD on my Mac MIni, 2) installed a fresh version of Yosemite (OS 10.10), and 3) used Migration Assistant to transfer all non-Apple files, folders, etc. from that most recent SuperDuper! backup I had made of my Mac Mini on an external device to the internal SSD on the mini. It worked like a charm. (I then booted up the Mac Mini, and applied the OS 10.10.4 Combo Updater to get to the latest version of Yosemite).

Reaction score
I was using thunderbolt cable to connect, The new Mac responded with a number which has to be matched with the other device, older Mac just kept searching for something to connect to.

Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned above, I have (recently) done it differently, using an external drive with a bootable SuperDuper! backup as my source. In fact, that is where 1) I ran Disk Utility to Erase and Format the SSD, and 2) I ran the "Install OS X Yosemite" file from. Using that backup as my source, I successfully migrated all non-Apple files, folders, etc., and settings, to the SSD. The particular external drive containing the backup is connected to my Mac Mini via a Firewire 800 cable.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-What are the exact models of the MacBooks?
-What versions of OS X?

If the older MacBook keeps searching and doesn't find the newer one, it sounds like the older Mac may only have a Mini DisplayPort port instead of a Thunderbolt port. Mini DisplayPort doesn't support data, only video.

ThunderboltVSDisplayPort.png

C

Ask a Question