Crossing the Pond

Reaction score
Hello UK members!

In January, I will be crossing the pond. I can't wait! I will be studying theater for 3 weeks in London. This is a program through my school. I will be doing classroom stuff in the morning. But I have my afternoons free. The reason why I am posting this is because I would like to know what I should see while I am in London. There are some "touristy" things I'd like to see, but I would like to get off the path a little! I am not sure if I will go outside of London. But I would appreciate some tips and places to see, touristy or not. Also, I would like to know what the weather is like in January there. Clothing tips, anything, would be useful. Thank you all in advance!!

Searay

PS, How long is the trip through the Channel Tunnel to Paris? That may be a possibility of something I'd do.

Reaction score
Hi Searay -

I live about 40 miles north of London, and don't get to see it as much as I should - but here is my starter for ten:

Tate Modern Gallery, if you like all things arty
Science Museum, if you like all things technical
Victoria&Albert Museum, if you like all things!

Best thing to do try and find a more obscure tour, their are lots out their, research on the net first, see the other side of London, some of the places that are not on the tourist map.

Days out - Cambridge (just over an hour by train) or Oxford (half an hour)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the "Rough Guides..." are generally good, might be worth a read.

It's been a while since I've been to London so my help is limited !

I did live there for a couple of years, but that was quite a lomg time ago !

I would certainly go on the London Eye, then you can take in the view !

regards

Ric

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I realize this is touristy and not insider advise, but if in London I'd go to the Tower of London and the British Museum!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful tips and suggestions for places to see!!

If you guys/anyone else have anything else to suggest, please let me know!

Searay

The London Eye looks awesome!!!

Reaction score
Many thanks Ric!

Well I will be on the plane in about a day. I am really looking forward to going. This may sound dumb, but I am going to ask it anyway. What has the weather been like over there? Cold and wet? I ask because I can never rely on the weather man! :D

If anyone has anything else, please share! Many thanks again!

Cheers
Searay

Reaction score
going from the uk to froggy land via the channel tunnel will take about two hours as i understand it
no im not in the uk im across the channel through belgium yes there next to germany

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am here in England now. I must say I really love London. Your Tubes are much better than New York City. I love the pubs. Mmmm...Fish & Chips. I have been to the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and a lot of other places. I have been going to lots of theaters. I am going to the Globe in a bit. I have been to the National, Young Vic, and Wyndham's Theatre. I am having lots of good beers here. If anyone has any suggestions on good brews, please post them. Cheerio for now. :D

Searay

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Hey, aren't you supposed to be doing some sort of school stuff, too? :) Drink a Guinness for me!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am here in England now. I must say I really love London. Your Tubes are much better than New York City. I love the pubs. Mmmm...Fish & Chips. I have been to the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and a lot of other places. I have been going to lots of theaters. I am going to the Globe in a bit. I have been to the National, Young Vic, and Wyndham's Theatre. I am having lots of good beers here. If anyone has any suggestions on good brews, please post them. Cheerio for now. :D

Searay

Welcome to the UK! Got you one in.....

Reaction score
Thanks Ric!! I am!! There is seriously a lot of stuff to do here!!

Thanks Timslim!!! I had some Guinness already. WHAT A DIFFERENCE between here and the States!

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Why does all of the cool Simpsons stuff have to be here in the UK? There I am walking down Portobello Road and find 3 posters I have never seen before!!! Oh, how about the six Simpsons T-Shirts I found...In my size?!?! That is next to impossible in the States. Oh, this one is great. I walked into a grocery store in Piccadilly Circus and found Simpsons Freezepops!!! What the heck?!?! You cannot find any Simpsons food in the states!!! I think I may have to move here!! In other news, The British Museum is really interesting. I have seen it a lot because it's a block over from my hotel. I still need to get on the London Eye. Otherwise, I have been to the major things. I love pubs!!

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
One of my friends sent me this via email. He knew that I was over here in London, so he had to send me this....enjoy!! Anything in () is my own thoughts on the comment.

SIGNS YOU'VE BEEN IN LONDON TOO LONG
1. You say 'mate' constantly (I haven't been called mate...That sounds more Australian)
2. You think it is perfectly normal to pay over £3.00 for a pint. (Why not? :D )
3. Anyone not from London is 'wanker'. (True)
4. Anyone from outside London and north of the Watford Gap is a 'Northern Wanker'. (OK...)
5. You have no idea where the North is. (HAHA!!!! True...especially coming out of the Tube)
6. You see All Saints in the Bar Med (again) and find it hard to get excited about it. (HAHA)
7. The countryside makes you nervous. (We will find out when I go to Stradford Upon Avon on Thursday)
8. Somebody speaks to you on the tube and you freak out thinking they are a stalker. (This may be true after 11 PM!)
9. American tourists no longer annoy you. (If you are walking on the sidewalk and want to pass someone...pass on the left....GET IT RIGHT AMERICANS!! LOL)
10. You talk in postcodes. "God, it was really warm round SW1 the other day". (Ummm....yeah)
11. You can't remember the last time you got up to 30 mph in your car. (Gee...I see people driving their cars really fast up and down the street my hotel is on)
12. You didn't realise that 'Paddington Green' is REAL. (HAHA)
13. You pay £2.95 for a frigging caramel frigging crapachino Starbucks
muck coffee (I HATE COFFEE....GIVE ME TEA!!!)

Reaction score
Well I am in Stratford-Upon_Avon for the next couple day, then I am heading back to the states!!! I have really enjoyed myself here and I hope to return soon. Cheerio
Searay

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Did you get caught in the wind storm? My husband was travelling from London to Cardiff, Wales, and said it was a wild ride.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Oh man!!! Yes I did!!! 80 MPH gusts!!!!!! I herd that 13 people died in that windy storm. Yes, it was a wild ride!!!

I am back in the US now. I had so much fun over there. I am trying to make plans on returning sometime soon. Right now, I am trying to fight the jet lag. :D Cheerio

Searay

Ask a Question