Creating a .png on the desktop

Reaction score
All screen shots go to the desktop, but to change the name with a .png ending one must click and old down the click for a period of time twice, but there is a lot of trial and error. What is the timing and how do you do it?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
All screen shots go to the desktop, but to change the name with a .png ending one must click and old down the click for a period of time twice, but there is a lot of trial and error. What is the timing and how do you do it?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian
(e-mail address removed)
What file extension do you get with the screenshot? Perhaps .jpg or .jpeg? The file type (and location) needs to be set as a preference, and the default setting is .png, so previously, it must have been altered.

Reaction score
I just took a screenshot in Ventura and by default they are .png. Also, when I check the file's information (get info), the "hide extension" box is checked. When I uncheck it, the file already has a file extension of .png. Is viewing file info and unchecking that box a better solution? Ctrl+click (right click) and "rename" also gives you the ability to add an extension in the name, but there is already one so the file may end up having 2 if you do that.

Reaction score
maw_walker,

Thank you. This works.

Is there a way to have the “hide extension” unchecked all the time without going to “get info” every time?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
maw_walker,

Thank you. This works.

Is there a way to have the “hide extension” unchecked all the time without going to “get info” every time?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian
(e-mail address removed)
In Finder, pull down the Finder menu, Settings… (in Ventura; I think it was Preferences in earlier systems), or just press Command-comma. Click on Advanced, and check the box for “Show all filename extensions” to reveal file extensions.

Reaction score
Thank you, Tony Aguila,

I have included a screen shot. I am having a hard time finding the setting after pressing Command-comma and clicking on Advanced.

James Adrian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.33.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 12.33.59 PM.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Thank you, Tony Aguila,

I have included a screen shot. I am having a hard time finding the setting after pressing Command-comma and clicking on Advanced.

James Adrian
That looks like the preferences window for Safari. You need to bring up the Finder preferences. This is what it looks like in Ventura. It has been a while since I was on Monterey, so I’m not positive that the Finder preference window will look the same.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 11.34.05.png

Ask a Question