creating a help book

Reaction score
Haven't used a mac for 15+ years. using a mac book with snow leopard installed.
I have a chm that I want to make available on mac osx 1.5 and later. I'm following the Apple Help Programming Guide and have a few questions:

1. Does all html content (except the title page) need to be in one folder? The directory structure used to generate the windows chm has multiple sub folders; I hoped to avoid maintaining two sets of source files.

2. What XCode software should i use to ""Install the help folder in the Resources folder with XCode"? (Help Book registration section of the Apple guide): There are numerous templates in the XCode window (cocoa app, installer plug-in, interface builder plug in, etc.) The help will not be bundled with the s/w application.

3. Adding keys to the info.plist file (I assume this is generated with whatever XCode project is selected, but I don't know for sure). The names of keys required start with "CF" in the Apple guide, but not in the XCode keys I saw in XCode. Is the info in the apple guide old? (version 2009-05-29)

3. Apple Guide recommends that the help book title page be xhtml, but the title page for mac help is html. Does it make a big difference?

4. Will a help book created on Snow Leopard (10.6) be compatible with Leopard (10.5)?

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Disappointing in that nobody has responded to my help book issue.... I'll narrow it down to one key question:

Can I create a help book independent from an XCode project?

The Apple Help Programming Guide assumes the help book is be part of an XCode project, but that is not the case for me. All I have is the help book directory structure (with html, images, etc) and a dead end.

Ask a Question