Creating a Time Machine backup of an external drive

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to use one external drive to create a Time Machine backup of another? I know you can backup the MacHD with Time Machine but I'd like to duplicate an external drive with the same automatic method as Time Machine. It's so much simpler than trying to manually match the drives constantly. I'd be open to another program like Time Machine to create auto backups of the drive in question (as long as it's reliable of course!)

Any suggestions?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have 2 ext hd's attached to my iMac, the first is the nominated Time Machine drive which backs up my iMac & the attached 2nd ext hd.

If my 2nd ext hd isn't attached at the time of the backup then Time Machine just backs up my internal hd.

In Time Machine prefs I add whichever folders etc I want excluded from the back up. So if it is mounted & not in the exclude list then it'll be backed up.

Of course, you'll want the Time Machine drive to be large enough to hold all the backups …

Not sure if I've answered your question or not ...

Ask a Question