Help Creating Video Playlists

Reaction score
I'm trying to create video playlists in iTunes 11. I use the same process as creating a music playlist. I'm dragging and dropping or copying and pasting television episodes (From TV Shows Folder) into the playlist instead of music files.

But when I do this, iTunes actually moves the television show files into the music folder instead of creating shortcuts to the video files.

When this happens I can no longer see any TV Shows in the TV Shows section of iTunes (because they all moved into the Music folder) and they are no longer organized by seasons as they were in the TV Shows folder.

Reaction score
Hi,

Did you create a new personal playlist such as episodes, have to say I have no issues re many types of playlists, even specific car audio.
Just highlight the episode you want then right click and choose add to playlist then from the menu choose your newly created playlist.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I created a new playlist folder, then a new playlist. The problem isn't in creating the playlist, but the fact in doing so physically moves all my TV episodes into the music folder. Hope I am explaining myself well.

Reaction score
Ah, sorry I misunderstood your directions. Your process works up to a point. But let me add the next step. I want to view and play my video playlists via Apple TV. It appears in order to make the videos visible in ATV I have to go into info and change Media Kind to "Music Video". This is when the file actually moves into the Music folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,
It appears in order to make the videos visible in ATV I have to go into info and change Media Kind to "Music Video". This is when the file actually moves into the Music folder.

Your playlist that contain just TV episodes should on Apple TV only show up when you go into TV shows. But remember that Apple TV filters the playlists so that it only shows the appropriate video type depending where you are looking.
What I am getting at is that if you go to the TV shows section of Apple TV, the playlist won't show any video tagged as a movie or music video only your TV episode.
So I am not sure why you are changing media kind to music video.

Reaction score
Alright I so messed up my playlist I had to do a mini restore from Time Machine. Afterwards I followed your instructions exactly and everything is set up and works like it should. I obviously couldn't figure it out on my own. Thank you very much! :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Your welcome and good to hear all is as you want it, I continually make the odd fundamental error.:(:D

Ask a Question