Couldnt open device.: (-69877)

Reaction score
Trying to restore my MacBook to factory settings. I can’t access anything but recovery assistant but when I try to erase this error pops up (-69877)
I am not tech savvy but I can’t even find what this error means. Help

Reaction score
Trying to restore my MacBook to factory settings. I can’t access anything but recovery assistant but when I try to erase this error pops up (-69877)
I am not tech savvy but I can’t even find what this error means. Help
I believe that error message is about not being able to open (read) your device, which is probably your startup drive. If you can still boot up, and if you have FileVault turned on, see if you can turn it off (for now).

Shut down and reset the SMC. From shutdown, hold down the Control-Option-Shift keys on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button for about ten seconds. If your aim is to reformat the internal drive, boot into Recovery (command-R), then open Disk Utility to erase the drive. Make sure to choose Erase, not Partition. If you are installing Catalina or newer, I suggest choosing APFS. From there you can proceed to install macOS.

Note that by erasing the startup drive you will lose all of the data. Hopefully you have a Time Machine backup, or some form of copy of the data you might want to restore.

Ask a Question