Constantly indexing?

Reaction score
My imac is driving me nuts! I thought it was constantly indexing the spotlight. So I used the terminal to turn it off and then back on again so it would restart it. No difference. I then brought up my activity monitor and did a search for mdworker. It only found one. So that is not what is causing my mac to constantly run and churn in the background. It slows it down badly. I then used activity monitor to see what is hogging memory but that is only the kernal_task. Which is the computer itself. I am tired of this! Help!
I reboot the darn thing and you can hear it churning away even before i type in my password to open it up.
If it helps i am running high sierra with the latest version. And have 4gb of memory. I can hear it constantly running/churning in the background.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model iMac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-How much free space is available on the drive?
-Do you have an third-party utilities or antivirus installed?

Sounds like there may be an issue with the hard drive if it is accessing a lot before/at login.

C

Ask a Question