Connecting to a wireless network?

Reaction score
Hi, it looks great but I cannot seem to get to grips with anything on my MacBook. When I try to connect to a wireless network, several present themselves, but they all require passwords, which I have no idea how I am supposed to know. Do you have to sign up to a network? I thought that the whole idea with wireless is that you can connect to any network in range of your computer, but as is obvious, I know virtually nothing about this stuff. I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me...Also, does Apple have its own version of microsoft word, if so where is it?! :(

Reaction score
apple has two options apple works 6 which is a whole office package
imnot sure if its stil in retail though
and writer 2 which is a stand alone product for 79

neither write in ms word format but they are able to read it

there is a ms office for mac os x
and a discount students edition

you can log in to any wireless hot spot but its recommended not to do so
you might never know who you ar elifting on with or who is lifting on with you

to use a wireless conenction with your mac you need an airpor station ( 129 ) and a active inter net connection
hook the airport station up and log in to in and your online anywhere in the house with your mac

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

to add to bluekatt's suggestions...

Apple has a product called Pages which can read, edit and export MS Word Docs...although it's not perfect. There will be style differences.

You can download OpenOffice, that does everything that MS Office does and it's free.

The Wireless networks that you can see are probably private networks...

As bluekatt says you need your own internet connection and then you need a Wireless Base Station to transmit that signal...so that you can hook up to it.

Depending on where you live there may be free hotspots that you can connect to...there will also be ones that you can connect to but will have to buy credit to join them.

In the UK you can go into the coffe shops in most WHSmith stores 'cafes' and surf for free...whereas if you go into Starbucks you have to pay !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
This may help...

wireless-network.003.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i meant pages actually

there is also a totally free stand alone ms word compatible wordprocessor
that reads and writes in native word format
abiword go give it a whirl

personally i would not go for openoffice it might be free but its not exzctly stable or fast its running of java and unless you have a fast mac and lots of ram you wil notice it
its like running quake 3 on vpc ...not good

if you need want must ms word buy the real thing or go for abiword

id avoid openoffice

Reaction score
Ok, thankyou so much for your help, I am trully useless! How much does a wireless base station cost?:rolleyes:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it depends on what you require...

How many computers have you got that want to connect to the Internet ?

Do you already have a Internet connection if so what type ? Cable, ADSL Sat etc?

How far do you want to send the signal, have you a big garden, lots of floors etc ?

Wireless base stations range from around £50 to £100 depending on type etc.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question