colored lines, dead spot on screen

Reaction score
I have an iBook g4 running Mac OS X 10.5.8 When i bought it used seven months ago it was in good working order. I was dumb enough to drop it from desk height to ground maybe four months ago; it landed flat on its base. After that there was a stripe along the right-hand margin about an inch wide and half screen-height which stayed white when the computer was on, with a triangul;ar cap of gray and black horizontal stripes that changed shape slightly at random moments or when I adjusted the screen angle. Also one magenta line running vertically down the full height of the screen. I could live with that.
Yesterday several more full-screen lines have appeared and there's a thick section of colored bars next to the white area, extending almost another inch. That's not so good but I can live with that too. I didn't drop the computer again. I did set it down briefly on the grass, and it is getting warmer and more humid.
Recently a permanent yellow vertical line also appeared on my never-dropped 2006 iMac.

So I have three questions: Can I fix this? Can I stop the dead area from spreading further? If the answer to both of those is no, can I get a replacement screen for this thing or do i need to replace it altogether? The programs run just fine and the disk utility says there's nothing wring with the hard drive.

Sorry this was so long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

joanna m

Reaction score
Can I fix this? not for less that the laptop is worth, the bench fee is worth more than a g4 iBook.

Can I stop the dead area from spreading further? There is nothing you can do.

can I get a replacement screen for this thing or do i need to replace it altogether? Screens are not a user serviceable part. You may find a Apple Service Centre that will do the job, but it would cost more that the computer is worth.

Sorry.

Ask a Question