Thunderbolt display is becoming discolored?

Reaction score
I'm not even sure where to start with this problem, but seeing as I work in video production, it has become a small pain over the last week.

The attached images show a split on the screen that started small in the top right corner and has moved down to the bottom.

If anybody has any information on what this could possibly be, I would appreciate the help.

This is a 2014 27-inch Thunderbolt display run through a 2014 Mac Pro, but I'm not sure any of that matters. It's not visible in screenshots, just on an external view of the monitor.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 715
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,261

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Usually that is a sign that either smoke is getting into the display panel from an external source such as cigarettes/cigars, or the internal power supply of the display is starting to fail and smoke internally, which is getting into the panel.

It is definitely worth a trip to the Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center to get it looked and and serviced or replaced, depending on what the warranty situation is.

C

Ask a Question