Thunderbolt display is becoming discolored?

Discussion in 'Hardware and Peripherals' started by Boxturtle32, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Boxturtle32

Boxturtle32 New Member

I'm not even sure where to start with this problem, but seeing as I work in video production, it has become a small pain over the last week.

The attached images show a split on the screen that started small in the top right corner and has moved down to the bottom.

If anybody has any information on what this could possibly be, I would appreciate the help.

This is a 2014 27-inch Thunderbolt display run through a 2014 Mac Pro, but I'm not sure any of that matters. It's not visible in screenshots, just on an external view of the monitor.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      190.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      151.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      175.2 KB
      Views:
    Boxturtle32, Apr 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Boxturtle32

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Usually that is a sign that either smoke is getting into the display panel from an external source such as cigarettes/cigars, or the internal power supply of the display is starting to fail and smoke internally, which is getting into the panel.

It is definitely worth a trip to the Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center to get it looked and and serviced or replaced, depending on what the warranty situation is.

C

Cory Cooper, May 2, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question