Changing System Language

Reaction score
Hello Mac Help!

Strange question today, as I've just come into mac for the first time now. Was able to buy a discounted MacBook Pro from a Chinese student before she returned home, but the computer was somehow set up in Chinese as it's default language. The unit's been formatted so the hard drive is blank, and I have a friend who was able to grab me a Mac OS 10.9 install disc. Problem is, when I boot to the disc to install Mac, it's all in Chinese.

How can I change this to display English all the time? Will it change after I reinstall the OS?

thanks for any help you can provide!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If the hard drive is blank, then my would be initial suggestion of changing the language in System Preferences is moot. So, on the first screen of the installer, you should be able to select English as the language for the clean install. When the install is completed, the system should be back to "normal" and fully in English. I know it may be hard to read each prompt from that point if it is still in Chinese, so we can help you with each screen if you need it. Basically, just hit the arrow or the right button if there are multiples to continue through all the installer screens. When it restarts, you should be all set.

Let us know how you get on,

C

Ask a Question