CDs to hard drive

Reaction score
I want to put my CD collection onto an external hard drive in lossless format. I can get the tracks on there using iTunes but the only info that goes with them is track name. How can I transfer the same data as on iTunes; album, artist, artwork et al?
I'm using an older MacBook Pro.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model MacBook Pro?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of iTunes?
-Are the CDs regular retail purchased music CDs, or discs with burned music on them?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

I'm using a 2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitan version 10.11.6
iTunes version 12.8.2.3

I also have a 2018 Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.7 with Music 1.0.6.10

The CD I have tried putting on the external drive is a bought one but I have lots of burned compilations that I want to do too.

I am obviously using the MacBook because it has a CD drive. I thought the iTunes would be pretty much the same. If the newer iTunes would do it more easily I'll happily use it.
If so, could I still use the Pro as an external CD drive?

Cheers

Reaction score
You are correct most of the info like Artist - Album - Album Artist - Composer will not automatically appear on iTunes info - in most cases it has to be done manually, I know, at one stage I had up to 45,000 songs on iTunes (including record company and record No also record cover photo). - Now I have cleaned it up down to 36,821 = 177 days (total playing time) = 401 GB. There is software that will do it automatically, but it changes songs info that you may already have done manually. I use an old USB external Superdrive from about 6-8 years ago. Another point if you download songs from a PC computer Title - Artist - Album - Album Artist - Composer, will not appear in the same order.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The commercial music discs should automatically gather album/song/artist/cover art/etc. metadata when imported into iTunes. Burned manual compilations will not, since they aren't registered in the CDDB database. Those would have to be manually updated for the most part as roskruge stated.

C

Reaction score
I haven't been clear enough I see :)
In iTunes I get all the data but have to load the compilations manually. It's when I transfer the CD to the external drive that I lose the data.
The CD has the data then when I copy to library at 320mbps it takes it with it. When I change the destination of the same music CD with data to external drive in lossless format it will transfer but only the track name.wav appears on the drive.

Ask a Question