Optical Drive will not burn CDs

Reaction score
My MBP's drive got damaged by a peeling CD label and rather than pay to have it fixed I bought the following external optical drive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002G374LC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine with software CDs and ones with images but it won't burn CDs. I've often burned music CDs without any problem in my MBP's drive but I'm getting nowhere with the external one. The error message I got the three times I tried was something like 'The drive didn't behave as expected and the issue couldn't be resolved.' I tried with three new CDs (CD-R Audio) and iTunes was recognising the external drive and was attempting to burn to the CD in the drive each time. I could also hear the drive start up in response before I got the message.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What model Mac and version of Mac OS X?
-Did you connect both USB cables - one for data and one for power?
-Have you tried lowering the burn speed setting?
-Do you have more than one brand of blank media?
-Have you tried burning from the Finder instead of iTunes?

You could also look in System Information > Disc Burning to make sure it is supported. It will also give the brand/model of the mechanism inside the Firstcom enclosure.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

Okay, I think just seeing your questions has probably answered my question. The drive came with two short cables, both of them USB but with different connections at the other end. I assumed they were for different types of use but am I right in thinking that they should both be connected at the same time?

I'll try again tomorrow to see if recording is successful this time.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, they both need to be connected simultaneously. Both cables should have a standard USB connector on one end, but may have different connectors on the other end, which correspond to different ports on the drive's enclosure. One is to fully power the unit and one is for data. If you only had one connected, then I suspect that may be the issue.

Let us know,

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AndreaM, I had a look at the product specifications at the link you provided and found this:

Box contents:
1 x DVD Combo Drive
1 x USB cable for connection
1 x USB cable for power supply

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yes, after connecting the other cable, it worked fine and I was able to burn a CD. Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question