Record Audio Tapes to CDs ... ???

Reaction score
What would be the cheapest, easiest, and best way to record music from our audio tapes onto CDs? I would be using my G4 iBook, running OS X 10.4.11. Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If your mac has a mic in, then use a dual end mini-jack.. plug on end into the mic, and the other into the cassette player line-out

Check out:

AFAIK, both these free apps will do what you request.

Let me know how you go with this as I haven't used any of these apps.

Reaction score
I've been doing a fair bit of this. I connect a tape deck as described above, and capture the sound with Spin Doctor (not free but very good: it comes with Roxio Toast). If I then want to edit the files I convert them from AIFF to MP3 and do the editing in Audacity.

Reaction score
How to Use iMic???

I've been doing a fair bit of this. I connect a tape deck as described above, and capture the sound with Spin Doctor (not free but very good: it comes with Roxio Toast). If I then want to edit the files I convert them from AIFF to MP3 and do the editing in Audacity.

I've been playing around with my iMic, Audacity and Final Vinyl, but no luck with good sound recordings. In fact, I can't even find the file that Final Vinyl supposed saved. I tried saving two files, but there was no window showing me where the files are saved. It appears that there were no audio files saved in Final Vinyl.

I saved lots of audio files with Audacity, but no matter how I arrange the connections and settings, I can always hear our voices (through the built-in microphone), along with the music from my cassette tape.

I tried all variations of settings in Audacity and the System Preferences, but still can hear our voices loud and clear!!! Also, the audio quality is not good .....

Is there an application that is user friendly and low-priced that will work with my iMic, and provide good quality recordings? Help please? Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Re: How to Use iMic???

I saved lots of audio files with Audacity, but no matter how I arrange the connections and settings, I can always hear our voices (through the built-in microphone), along with the music from my cassette tape.

If you can hear your voices then something is amiss and I'm sure we can rectify that.

Before beginning a recording project in Audacity, it's necessary to set the Audacity preferences in the Edit Preferences dialog box. This ensures that the sound source and playback options are set correctly as well as bit-rate, quality indicators and more

20080319-crkawwdkqcp7ugk4ujfjt26t7c.jpg

Otherwise you may need to fiddle around in Audio Midi Setup which you'll find in your Utilities folder (in Finder just press Command + U to launch the Utils Folder)

Also, make sure you've selected Line In in the Input Tab of Sound, in your System Preferences. If you see blue bars in the Input Level Monitor then there is something wrong.

20080319-dhpux4fnd3p8d225jke4hambqs.jpg

20080319-maa44p5pw14ayj3h448wabi2yp.jpg

Ask a Question